New guy migrating over

Started by Shellbelly, October 23, 2021, 03:30:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

Great introduction.....welcome. Bill, SoCal mountains
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Breadfan

Welcome! I am on the east coast in North Florida and I too am a surf fisherman. That's just about all I do anymore and I build surf rods when I am not fishing, that is what I am doing to support my habit of, well, fishing. I only own one Penn, a Fathom II casting special. Although I am a retro kind of guy, most all of my reels are form the 70's, Daiwa baitcasters and a few Abu's. I do however love the Fathom, even though it was not made here in the USA. Let us know what you are catching and where you are catching! Good to have you onboard. You will find that this is the most friendly forum you will ever be a part of, I cannot say enough about how good these folks are!

Shellbelly

Breadfan!  Got sand between your toes?  Are your gills wet?  Fishing is slow right now but the weather is changing.  Although I did land a 42" red early this month at night.  Had stout north winds for 2 days now.  That blows our surf flat here at the mid gulf in TX.  It also blows all the loose sand to the tideline.  I like it!  Keeps the traffic down to serious fishermen.  Reds will pick up soon and larger sheepshead will be working the jetties and intracoastal.  Flounder should be moving about now as well.  Everything will settle into the winter pattern and slot reds will be hit and miss in the surf and passes.  When they hit, you'll limit out in an hour. 

I LOVE the winter beach.  I don't care how cold it gets or which way the wind blows.  I'll fish in just about anything except lightning and flying monkeys.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Wompus Cat

QuoteFlounder should be moving about now as well.

Yep but it is Closed Nov. 1-14.
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Shellbelly

Yep.  A lot of science went into the reasoning and explanation for this.  I can sum up a PART of the cause...gigging of little flounder by inexperienced folks and a FEW guides not controlling the client....none of which was part of the discussion.  I can tell you with confidence that when the explosion of modified-for-flounder boats hit the scene, the populations went down.  As soon as the client found out that one can lay down, stay dry and stick fish, it was on.  A boat can cover MILES of shallows whereas the old fashioned walker with his lantern and a #3 washtub wrapped with a tire tube covers much less ground.

We floundered a lot.  The rules were simple:  Only stick a fish that feeds two and five fish per tub is plenty.  We ate plenty of flounder and saw beds that were massive.  I gave up when most of the fish were 10" and we stopped seeing evidence of much larger fish.  My gigs are part of my display now.  I'll jig for them or throw mud minnows, but probably won't ever stick another one.  I figure i've had my share of fun with my gigs...and the dog gone stingrays....(which do not seem to have a population issue).
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)

Wompus Cat

Back over 30 years I use to go to Port O'Connor and actually Gigged with a State Game Employee and we watched those HUGE  Commercial Flounder Boats just clobbering the Flounder all night long . TONS and Tons of fish every night and at Seadrift they caught all they wanted as well .
They put a larger size limit  for a while then started closing the Gigging (for us  fisher people NOT THE COMMERCIAL ONES )  Season at the end of October until Spring . We could catch 1 over 15 inches on Rod and Reel per day.
Commercial Fisheries have ruined the Red Snapper for us too and not American Companies !
I LOVE DEM FLOUNDER!!!!! Dey is Ocean CRAPPIE MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

Shellbelly

AMEN.  A beautiful fish and fantastic table fare!  It takes a skilled hand to target these with rod and reel...even though kids seem to always catch one and the Dads holler, "GET THE NET" over and over.

I just hope the same doesn't happen to sheepshead.  Much maligned, called "trash fish", but some of the best tasting stuff Ive ever eaten in my life...period.  So much fun on light tackle and a face only a mother could love.  The local seafood store in Matagorda quit selling these.  Now it's only the "Big 3" and snapper.  That just might save the sheepshead.  Few know what to do with it.  A 15" sheepy is more than I should eat.

Wompus Cat

Same way with those Croakers . I have fried  many a Croaker up . Good Flavor

Shellbelly

Oh yes.  As kids, we liked the crunchy tails!

Benni3

Welcome from Salem va,,,,,,,,, ;D

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dominick

Welcome from San Mateo, CA  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.