distance casting

Started by alantani, April 13, 2009, 06:54:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

Quote from: Rusty Pipe;2497127I know its not a saltwater Q, but if I cleaned the grease out of my Curado 201 for steelheading and used this stuff would it increase my casting distance of light lures and weights?
Or would I just end up with backlashes?

both. 

so here's the deal.  you have to put together all of these random variables - spool weight, line weight and characteristics, the rod and the lure that you're throwing.  then add in your level of skill and the exact distance that you want to cast.  specifically addressing the reel, what you want to do is start with a spool that will give you the maximum amount of freespool.  that means the cleanest, best lubed bearings, zero load/zero freeplay on the endcap, zero friction between the spool shaft and the pinion gear, no brakes, no magnets and not friction anywhere else.  then start casting to see how far you get. 

what has to happen is that the lure has to start pulling the line out, accellerating the spool.  if at anytime, the speed of the spool exceeds the speed of the line as it travels through the guides, you will get an overrun.  that's the definition of an overrun.  that's why you have to thumb and stop the spool as soon as your lure hits the water.  that's also why you have to have the slightest amount of resistance in the spool when you cast.  you just can't have too much or you won't get any distance.  then you adjust the end cap.  if that doesn't work, add a brakes, ideally opposing and symmetric, two at 180 deg, three at 120 deg, four at 90 deg, six at 60 degrees.  if that doesn't work, then add magnets in the same symmetric configuration.  i know that no one add's magnets in this fashion, but that is theoretically how it's done.  and if that doesn't work, it's back to your thumb again.  what starts the whole process is a flick of the wrist that gets that lure moving out over the water. 

clear as mud, huh!

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!