More Drag out of a Penn Fathom 30 2 speed

Started by bigreddog, October 24, 2021, 01:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigreddog

Has anybody here successfully upgraded drag pressures on their Fathom 30?  I need another 5 pounds or so out of mine while maintaining uninhibited freespool.  I would like to get 25# at sunset, but my reel is well short of that.  Other Fathom 30's that I have looked at have similar drag performance.

I use this reel for fishing at Guadalupe island using 40 and 50 pound line, occasionally needing 25# of drag at the end of the fight.   

As background I own and use 9 Penn Fathoms and Torques.  For fishing Guadalupe I usually fish my Fathom 40 2 speeds of my Torque star drags specifically because they give me the drag that I want with excellent freespool.  I would love to get the same performance out of my 30 sized 2 speeds.

If anyone has sent a 30 in to Cal I would like to hear real world numbers and opinions.

Thank you.

Keta

The only way I can see of upping the drag on a versa drag rel would be by replacing the drag stack with more thin metal and CF drag washers.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

MarkT

Uh Lee, it's a 2-speed lever drag! 

You could play with the arrangement of the Belleville's, maybe adding another to get more drag.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

bigreddog

It is a 2 speed!  However, I own 6 of the torque star drags and have done that for a nice drag increase.  Thanks!

Keta

Quote from: MarkT on October 24, 2021, 06:18:40 PM
Uh Lee, it's a 2-speed lever drag!  

You could play with the arrangement of the Belleville's, maybe adding another to get more drag.

D'oh!

Try rearranging the Belleville washers or if room add washers like this (())
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

sabaman1

Give Cal a call, Im sure he can push that drag up a bit more for you. Although I've heard that the torque 40nld 2 speed is an ideal Guadalupe reel fishing up to 60lb possibly 80lb test.
JIM

Wolli

the mounting of the IAR Inner Tube is almost the same as
with an ABU Revo Toro i had last year for service.
Customer claimed the drag. Official 12kg but testet with max 5kg only.

Found out that the IAR Inner tube is not pressed in deep enough.
Removed the red marked parts on the schematics and the problem was solved.

Assume that it is the same problem with your Fathom.
love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)

pjstevko

Send it to Alan and he'll get it all set up!!!!

steelfish

eventho I love Penn reels I had to say I wasnt impressed with the fathom LD 2-speed line up of reels, I had the fathom 40LD2 and I could get anything near of the advertized max drag of 40# without losing freespool, I dont recall my numbers but I think I was getting freespool at 28# drag max but with lots of binding on the handle, I was more tired from fighting the reel not the fish, I had to use the reel with 25# at max to be able to use it comfortable at strike but that left me with around 18# or so at strike, in some zones might be good drag to let the fish to run but not here, so I sold the reel.

I dont know if fathom 30LD will be a nice reel to make it get more drag from what you are already getting without binding on the handle.
The Baja Guy

bigreddog

Quote from: steelfish on October 25, 2021, 06:01:15 PM
eventho I love Penn reels I had to say I wasnt impressed with the fathom LD 2-speed line up of reels, I had the fathom 40LD2 and I could get anything near of the advertized max drag of 40# without losing freespool, I dont recall my numbers but I think I was getting freespool at 28# drag max but with lots of binding on the handle, I was more tired from fighting the reel not the fish, I had to use the reel with 25# at max to be able to use it comfortable at strike but that left me with around 18# or so at strike, in some zones might be good drag to let the fish to run but not here, so I sold the reel.

I dont know if fathom 30LD will be a nice reel to make it get more drag from what you are already getting without binding on the handle.

I too was disappointed with the real world numbers compared to the specs from Penn.  However, nothing compares (that I know of) in terms of freespool and spool weight, and I consider them to be the best I can find for what I do.  That combination of drag/freespool/ low spool weight is tough to find.  I have been through many reels and all major brands looking for the qualities I want.  That is why I still mostly use Torque star drags even for tuna over 100# there.  But, age is starting to be a factor in my use of single speeds.......   >:(

I did hear back from Cal's and they think it may be possible to get 25# at sunset with unrestricted freespool. 

Ron Jones

Alan put my 25N together (same reel, narrow spool) and got over 20# at full, shouldn't be hard to get 25# at sunset. I ran it with 50 and had no problems. In fact if I pushed it any harder than I did I'd be worried about losing fish.

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Porthos

Quote from: bigreddog on October 25, 2021, 08:28:21 PM
I too was disappointed with the real world numbers compared to the specs from Penn.  However, nothing compares (that I know of) in terms of freespool and spool weight, and I consider them to be the best I can find for what I do.  That combination of drag/freespool/ low spool weight is tough to find.  I have been through many reels and all major brands looking for the qualities I want.  That is why I still mostly use Torque star drags even for tuna over 100# there.  But, age is starting to be a factor in my use of single speeds.......   >:(

I did hear back from Cal's and they think it may be possible to get 25# at sunset with unrestricted freespool.  

Are you getting 20-22 lbs before binding?

From your last response, it seems like you have arrived at your own answer. Bite the bullet and commit to the $95 blueprinting ($125+ total after RT shipping?).

I too use a star drag for 100+ lb (Daiwa 600H with a 5-stack)...will do so until I can't...

steelfish

Quote from: bigreddog on October 25, 2021, 08:28:21 PM
....... But, age is starting to be a factor in my use of single speeds.......   >:(

I dont feel old yet but Im not a strong guy either so, when I first used a 2-speed reel around 4 years ago, I was spoiled haha, it was an old Triton 2-speed reel and the low speed was golden once you had the fish really hooked, so I sold it and got the Fathom 40ld2, tried few trips and liked it until lost a big fish and then tried to increase the drag, handle was harder to turn and the drag numbers where still not that hight, sold it and got me a Makaira 15 and loved it, not a fair comparison on a $300 Vs $500 reels but once you spend your $125, tax, shipping, etc for Cals job you reel will be near to the $500 of the Makaira, Torque 2-speed, avet raptors, etc. at least that HOW I CONVICED MYSELF to get me a $500 reel  :) :) ;D
The Baja Guy