Unusual Penn 12/0

Started by Shellbelly, October 24, 2021, 03:48:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shellbelly

Here's an older 12/0 with a unique twist....literally.  I've seen a 9/0 with the same quirk and passed on it b/c I thought is was a frankenreel.  Ignorance is not bliss.  When this one came up, I snagged it.  The fun part is imagining everyone turning their head sideways when they look at it.  So, let's have fun with this and maybe someone can estimate a date. 

I think it's a "transition" reel when Penn moved from 5 to 7 o'clock and they were just using up material, similar situation with the black 114H.  All they had to do was rotate the plate and drill it accordingly.  Some believe it's a L/H plate which I can't envision without actually seeing it done at the bench.   
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Deepennz

Hi Shellbelly,
I believe you are correct in thinking that your reel is the first of the second Gen 12/0's - I have both a 12/0 and a 10/0 that have that quirk - a misaligned logo. Chris (Onebad350) has posted a photo of this also in the "Penn reels as you find them" thread.
Your reel should have both a coin edged counterweight, and a spool arbor with a drilled hole(not a post) about 3/4in from the left side plate end.
There is lots of discussion on this site about when the transition from first to second Generation Senators occurred. I believe, along with other commentators, that this transition occurred in mid/late 1940, so that would put your reel as a late 1940 product.
Nice find!!

Cheers
Martin

Wompus Cat

Any buddy else having trouble loading these images ?

* IMG_0501.jpeg (1134.5 KB - downloaded 26 times.)
* IMG_0502.jpeg (2068.97 KB - downloaded 16 times.)
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Deepennz

Hi Wompus,

I thought it was just me !! So I assumed that Shellybelly meant those 12/0's with the quirky logo!!
The next 12/0 that Penn produced they corrected the alignment of the logo, but someone replaced the logo mold with the logo from the 1937/38 12/0 senators - Superhook has posted a photo of that reel on page 2 of the "Senators ..from the beginning" thread in this senator section. These reels also have the drilled spool arbor/coin edged counterweight.

Cheers
Martin

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Wompus Cat on October 24, 2021, 07:36:49 PM

I wish photos would actually be shown in the post. I don't like downloading other peoples stuff to my computer just to view it, actually I refuse to do that. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Dominick

Quote from: Midway Tommy on October 24, 2021, 08:02:10 PM
Quote from: Wompus Cat on October 24, 2021, 07:36:49 PM

I wish photos would actually be shown in the post. I don't like downloading other peoples stuff to my computer just to view it, actually I refuse to do that. 
Yes Windows 10 does not allow one to look at the photo.  You have to download it and save it.  So I don't bother.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

PacRat

Windows 7 won't allow it either.

Maxed Out

Add droid to the "won't do it" list
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Wompus Cat

Well can't tell where it's hosted as it isn't really active to a link ????
Did you get the img. off your confuser , another website,web host,or trying to link it from a thread on this site ?

Shellbelly

I chose it from a list of pics from my desktop that I transferred from my phone to my imac.  I selected "choose file" from the sites "additional options", this opens my photos window and I selected the files, one at a time.  I had to open each of them in order for the file name to stick to the post window.

Don't these files "go" somewhere on the site to be retrieved or are the file names just links to MY machine?  I'm ready to figure it out, but it's not intuitive for me.  I did the same for the sailfisher photos I posted earlier and haven't seen any feedback about viewing them....unless everybody is just being nice to the ignorant new guy!!!!  Rite of passage, maybe? ;D
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)

nelz

Shellbelly, change the files' extension to .JPG instead of .JPEG and post them again.

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Shellbelly on October 25, 2021, 01:16:46 AM
I chose it from a list of pics from my desktop that I transferred from my phone to my imac.  I selected "choose file" from the sites "additional options", this opens my photos window and I selected the files, one at a time.  I had to open each of them in order for the file name to stick to the post window.

Don't these files "go" somewhere on the site to be retrieved or are the file names just links to MY machine?  I'm ready to figure it out, but it's not intuitive for me.  I did the same for the sailfisher photos I posted earlier and haven't seen any feedback about viewing them....unless everybody is just being nice to the ignorant new guy!!!!  Rite of passage, maybe? ;D

All you ended up doing is copying the File name with no content and yes once you upload a pic from your computer this site stores it.
I would repost the pix and remove the ones you have under additional options  uncheck the old ones then  click Browse and   From your Computer or where ever the files are stored,   find the pic and double click  it and it will load here then select more attachments to load additional pics the same way .jpg or jpeg will load here fine
Now moving to phone from computer and being a Mac I dunno .

Shellbelly

OK.  I believe the quirky logo is pretty well documented here.  I'll experiment with uploading in a future post.  Thank you all for pitching in!  Mine does have a full handle with a coin edge counter weight, coin edge free spool lever.  There's no numbers on the trim pieces and it doesn't have ball bearings.  As for the arbor, it's beneath a mile of braid.  I haven't opened the reel yet since the first screw I tried was VERY tight.  The screws don't appear to be abused and I don't want to be an impatient moe-ron.