Noise on retrieve

Started by phishxxii, October 26, 2021, 05:57:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phishxxii

I have 2 Shimano stradic ci4 reels that periodically make a grinding noise on retrieve. The gears are fine.It sounds like there is sand in the rotor but the reel is very clean inside and out. Could it be the pinion gear bearings?

handi2

With those reels the pinion bearings go out all the time. They turn faster and water gets to them easily.

If that doesn't do it next is the line roller bearing.

Many times it's just the line roller.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

boon

Keith is on to it. Pinion bearing and line roller are just about all I ever have to do on these reels. The line roller is annoying because the bearing is pressed in so you have to buy the whole (somewhat expensive) line roller assembly.

philaroman

where's the spool during "grinding noise on retrieve"?
not up-to-date on CI4...  is there a friction ring & what's it like?

jd442

I have a similar issue with my Shimano Vanford 4000XG.  It seems to make a creaking noise on retrieve only under a load.  When you spin the real normally I dont hear the creaking noise.   I checked the line roller bearing and that seems to be turning smoothly any thoughts.   Its been making a noise since day1.   I bought it off of Ebay so I can really return it.  Any thoughts?

oc1

Could you wrap a piece of line twice around the roller and pull the two ends back and forth to see if it is grinding under tension?

jd442

I tried wrapping line around the roller twice and it seems smooth to me.

Wompus Cat

Quote by jd442 I have a similar issue with my Shimano Vanford 4000XG.  It seems to make a creaking noise on retrieve only under a load.  When you spin the real normally I dont hear the creaking noise.   I checked the line roller bearing and that seems to be turning smoothly any thoughts.   Its been making a noise since day1.   I bought it off of Ebay so I can really return it.  Any thoughts?

This problem has happened more times than I can count over the years and after tearing the reels in a million pieces and replacing gobs of parts only to find the Darn knob on the thing was making the squeak when you really got down on it cranking .... Just Sayin  ;D
Won't hurt to squirt a little WD in there to find out.
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

boon

Quote from: jd442 on November 22, 2021, 11:18:05 PM
I have a similar issue with my Shimano Vanford 4000XG.  It seems to make a creaking noise on retrieve only under a load.  When you spin the real normally I dont hear the creaking noise.   I checked the line roller bearing and that seems to be turning smoothly any thoughts.   Its been making a noise since day1.   I bought it off of Ebay so I can really return it.  Any thoughts?

I'd wager a shiny internet penny on the pinion bearing.