It can happen...

Started by Rancanfish, October 26, 2021, 09:19:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rancanfish

I have been trailering boats for 25+ years and IT never happened. Until Saturday.  I was on my 400 mile trip back home and pulled off on a short 20mph off ramp to get gas. Laid on the brakes pretty solid and 'boom'.  The hitch partially fell out of the receiver, ground off the bottom 1/2" of metal, tore off the jack wheel and was saved by the chain.  The ball and hitch were still attached, hanging to the trailer.

I got her stopped going around the outside of the turn. Thank my lucky stars I just upgraded to two 5000lb chains the afternoon before.  The only part that hit the ground was the adjustment nut on the bottom of the hitch.  Couldn't find the jack wheel, hitch pin or clevis pin.  I had thrown an extra hitch and ball and pin set in the back so I had everything I needed.

I wasn't working on it for 3 minutes when a young couple pulls to a stop on the ramp and asked if I was ok. I told her the pin fell out and she turned and asked if hubby has a pin in their car.  They pull over and I kid you not, the guy jumps out in blue jeans wearing a pink tutu.  He was going to a softball tournament, lol.

Installed the new parts, repositioned the truck to line up with the hitch and we lifted the tongue back on the ball. On my way in less than 10 minutes.

How the heck does a pin fall out?  I have never seen that before.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Keta

I had it happen a few years ago.  I suspect someone was " helping".
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Gfish

Which onea those dealies you described is the thin little springy clip. Could that'a come out? Or did some____er steal one/both of those parts. Did you stop anywhere? Wow, pretty cool when you're prepared like that. A tutu is a balarina dress, right?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Midway Tommy

I know things are so crammed together on my receiver setup that the bar can only go in from one direction. That means the clip pin has to be between the tube and the electrical connection. It's pretty tight and always looks like the pin could easily be forced out. Every time I hook mine up I after I insert the pin I turn the bar so the loop on the pin is up. I also have a bar with a lock. I don't have to worry about that one as long as I make sure the lock catches.

Had a MH once that had a bar with a drop bend welded into the receiver tube. Came around a curve and there was a 3" drop in the pavement and manhole where they had cut the pavement out to install a sewer line. Slammed on the brakes but didn't have time to get slowed down enough. The MH went down & came back up again on the paving raise just about the same time as the trailer was dropping down. Sheared that hitch bar off right at the edge of the tube. The safety chain loops were welded to the bar (bad design). It's a pretty scary and helpless feeling seeing your boat & trailer in your mirrors freewheeling along the curb right behind you. :o The trailer finally jumped the curb and the only thing that kept it from going over a 50' bank and down into a bunch of cabins was a row of lilac bushes. It took out a big resort sign, too. I'll never forget that helpless feeling. ::)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Gfish

No warning signs Tommy? If not, there sure shoulda been.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Midway Tommy

55 mph road w/ 40 mph curve, downhill & there it was. :o I said that to the City when I filed a claim & they said too bad so sad, sue us. The boat was only a couple of years. When it sheared the sign post off it put a 4' long crease in the side. I fought back and forth with them for awhile but I lived 500 miles away so I eventually gave up. The boat is a Lund (aluminum) so I fixed the crease myself and welding  cost $40 so I really wasn't out too much. The principal still iritates the hell out of me. It was prior to e-mail so in my final letter I told them I'd never visit their community again. They obviously didn't give a dang.  ;)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Jim Fujitani

Good thing for that city that you weren't on a motorcycle, or a Can-Am motorcycle (less maneuverable), and gotten hurt,  crippled, or worse.