Main Menu

Squid 🦑 Bomb

Started by gstours, October 30, 2021, 04:09:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Here's another way to get your bait to the bottom and without a warning ⚠️.
  Our good 👨‍🏫 professor gifted me this to test on my fishery.   Like he said you have to be disciplined to be a good "tester ",  so I don't have too much to conclude yet,  as I tested it on a "hectic " day once only.
   The design is good and about 12 ounces, it about right for most of the depth stratas I frequent.
Here's how I rigged it,   Solid tie.  The bomb slides in from the back and holds itself quite well,  although I first tied a band of elastic thread to hold it on seemingly better.
  This jig is very good in current and has a softer feel with the bottom than a slab jig,  possibly because of the trailing body.    It caught me some fish 🎣.   Butt I want to test it more.

gstours

One of the refinements is the adjustment of balance eyes,  it may be fished more horizontally than most other jigs,   Much more like most typical baits are fished.    This means that a snap couple used instead of the solid tie like the way I tried it.   I used a threader with a hook to pull it up through the head.
   This jig shows promise just a foot or two  off the bottom in a rod holder ,    It does not get much easier than that when it's potty time.🤨

jurelometer

Thanks for being the test pilot!  I haven't had a chance to fish these yet. Tried to talk Mr Tani into trying these, but he wasn't ready to take one for Team Science  on the squid bomb.  He takes his lingcod fishing seriously :)

For the folks watching at home, these are designed to rig a whole squid "leatherface" style.  You slide the bomb inside the squid, with a big swinging tail  hook going through the head.  Push one of the eyelets through the mantle and attach with a loop knot, or just clip to the eyelet of your choice.  The squid does not need to be prepared or cleaned in any way.

Now you can fish a whole squid like a jig with a skin job.  Should drop better than a separate weight  and a whole squid.  It should also be harder to get torn  up or stripped off as well.

It takes a larger California Market Squid to easily fit inside the 12oz bomb insert.  8oz is a more universal fit.

Didn't  think about the softer bumps compared to an iron.

-J

gstours

Thanks mr designer 👨‍🎨.... you have filled in some of the information that I've neglected to include.....
   I'm thinking it's a good way to present a bait.... you're thinking is out side of the box.   Butt I,m in as for finding if this is something that my fishery can benefit from.     Testing will take some time,    That is were I'm good at.    This year a couple of thousand pounds of fish were brought up to the surface on my boat 🚣‍♂️.   But I still don't like going back home 🏡 without a fish to have a toast 🥂 on.
  The squid 🦑 bomb is my best test for next year,  as I'm freezing a 25# box of biggees squid over the 🥶 winter......     more is less..      it's said.        Gst