Bait finesse system, or BFS as it is known

Started by tincanary, October 30, 2021, 04:14:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jurelometer

Good video for seeing the mechanisms, but I think he is struggling a bit on the sciencing.  The explanation about how those plastic  wedges cause the inductor to move has to be wrong, or every time any cone shaped object was spun it would shoot out sideways.

My best guess is that since no object  spins perfectly true, there is a bit less friction on the widening side of the surface, allowing the inductor to drift outward.  But the wedges will only hold against the spring pulling the inductor back if there is enough centrifugal force to push the wedges tight against the inductor. But this is just a guess.

Also, I am suspicious on the theory regarding benefit of lighter braking during some sort of acceleration phase. It doesn't make sense to me.  Any launched object that is not self propelled will have its maximum velocity upon release.  Think of a baseball pitch.  The pitch is not going to speed up after it leaves the pitcher's hand. The only difference  with a cast is that there is some inertia to overcome as the spool first starts turning.  But I would expect that this inertia phase to extremely short in duration (like a revolution or two), and not very significant in terms of force.  It just seems too tiny to make a difference here.  There may still be a case for more capacity to ease into maximum braking,  but it would probably be for another reason, like avoiding shock waves.

But some clever and delicate designs to be sure.  It is interesting that they are willing to hang a fairly chunky braking system on a lightweight spool.  Braking seems to be a big deal on these little reels.

-J

tincanary

Quote from: oc1 on November 26, 2021, 06:49:59 PM
Yeah, I understamd the brale system now.  I lookd at my SOL and thought about pulling off that c-clip.... but didn't.  Thank you very much.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot.  Here is the lightest spool available for the Sol https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32644631957.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.2a803c000sAx1d&mp=1
The Sol is the US market version of the Daiwa Alphas 103.  The 103 and SV105 are very similar, save for the spool, gears and driveshaft.  The gears on the Sol and 103 are bronze with a brass driveshaft, while the SV105 uses aluminum components and shaves a little more than an ounce off of the weight.  The spools for all three models are 33mm diameter and can be used on the Sol/103/SV105.

Donnyboat

Geting back to selection of braid, anglers choice, fishing corner, 16 strand braid, @ 60 Lbs, it is 0.029mm very smooth, if you were to use 20Lbs or 30 that would be very thin, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

oc1

boon

Quote from: Donnyboat on November 26, 2021, 11:32:31 PM
Geting back to selection of braid, anglers choice, fishing corner, 16 strand braid, @ 60 Lbs, it is 0.029mm very smooth, if you were to use 20Lbs or 30 that would be very thin, cheers Don.

The new Saltiga 12 strand braid is crazy thin. Might be too soft though? And unsure if it comes in low enough weights. Presumably there is dedicated finesse fishing line out there; Japan loves to have specialty products for absolutely everything :)

philaroman

just came across this in old saved links (prob. got it from old post here...  Bob's?), but in case it hasn't popped up on AT...
https://fishingdiscoveries.com/bait-finesse-system/#:~:text=What%20is%20Bait%20Finesse%20System%20%28BFS%29%20Fishing%3F%20%28including,over%20the%20%E2%80%9Cwho%20did%20what%20first%E2%80%9D%20in%20BFS.
don't know how good/valid/current it may be, but seems thorough

nelz

I have a shot at a Daiwa Pixy (the orange one) at a good price. Looking for feedback on this reel since I've never seen one in person...

nelz

Quote from: steelfish on November 10, 2021, 05:42:58 PM... right now I have the Daiwa AirD coastal, its really tiny and as well sits pretty low on the reelseat.    I just put new bearings on it, regular bearings not ceramic or those made specially for BFS, I dont know if its a good candidate to mod as BFS reel.

Fyi, don't know if you're still looking, but I just spotted a "Daiwa Aird 100R Red Tune Spool" on the bay for very reasonable price. Supposedly fits the Aird 100R Blue reel as well.

tincanary

Quote from: nelz on February 01, 2022, 09:16:01 PM
I have a shot at a Daiwa Pixy (the orange one) at a good price. Looking for feedback on this reel since I've never seen one in person...

Killer reel.  You will want the Pixzilla upgrade kit from Smooth Drag, it adds a couple more washers to the drag stack and increases its range.  The spool on the Pixy is 31mm, so it can use the spool from the Daiwa Presso and Alphas Air Stream Custom.  If you want a clicking drag, the driveshaft and associated hardware and clicking star wheel from a Daiwa SV105 and Alphas CT SV all fit and work well.  Lots of options on the Pixy.  The TD-Z line guide used in the pre T-wing Zillions and Steez is a drop in replacement.

nelz

Thanks Tincanary for that info. Unfortunately, as it turns out, I decided my budget cannot justify this expense. It was a great deal and a beautiful little reel, but still pretty pricey, not to mention all the upgrades you mentioned would add alot more $$$.

tincanary

Quote from: nelz on February 06, 2022, 06:24:54 PM
Thanks Tincanary for that info. Unfortunately, as it turns out, I decided my budget cannot justify this expense. It was a great deal and a beautiful little reel, but still pretty pricey, not to mention all the upgrades you mentioned would add alot more $$$.

You don't have to go all out on it as it's quite the competent caster, even factory stock.  It'll cast 1/8 no problem.  Where the issue lies in the Pixy is the weak drag.  The kit from Smooth Drag is ~$15 and makes for a much more stout reel.  Later Pixys, like the PX68, PX68 SPR, and PX Type R already have the beefier drag in them, it's the original Liberto Pixy that doesn't.

SevenYearsDown

Check out the Tsurinoya Genius if you are looking for a decent reel. Got it for $80ish shipped a couple of months back. I use it mostly in San Diego bay, it has held up well (pre-serviced ofcourse). I had a Daiwa Alphas Air TW, and the most recent Millionaire with the shallow spool and new bearings and this is is as good as the Alphas. I use 3-4g jigheads. My only issue is the capacity. Thin braid is such a pain to use so I use only 4lb mono or sometimes 2lb. With 6lb mono once cast and you can see the knot at the spool already.

DougK

+1 to the Tsurinoya Genius. It's a fabulous reel for the price, and the only baitcaster I can reliably cast 1g lures on. Most of my BFS is done with old Ambassadeurs with the new light spools, bought this one to see if a modern reel would really be any better. It's much better on 2g and lighter lures, most probably due to the mag brakes and superlight spool. Most of my fishing is 2-4g which the Abus handle perfectly well.
But if looking for a BFS for really light fishing, the Genius is a great buy.

Works on bigger fish just fine..

Gfish

Wow nice 'bow. Big wild lookin fish. Wher'ed you get it?
Don't know about a true BFS reel till I get one in-hand, but looks like fun, fishin and tinkering.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

tincanary

Quote from: Gfish on October 18, 2023, 05:55:52 PMWow nice 'bow. Big wild lookin fish. Wher'ed you get it?
Don't know about a true BFS reel till I get one in-hand, but looks like fun, fishin and tinkering.
it's a hoot.  Where I live, I can reliably fish every species on BFS save for King salmon, musky, and lake sturgeon.  Everything from trout and panfish to coho and Atlantic salmon are fair game.  My "heavier" rods are ML power.