Starting Out with DAM

Started by 2Boston, November 05, 2021, 01:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJAndrews

Others are no doubt more informed about this, but as I misunderstand it, the 285 morphed into the 330 when the entire model line's ID system was changed. The newer models were 110, 220, 330, 440, and 550 - and possibly another one or two - with each number being a progressively larger reel.

The 331 was the high-speed-retrieve version of the 330. It had a longer handle to give more leverage for that fast retrieve. In my photo, the reel on the right is the 330. Look closely, and you'll see the difference in the handles.

Others should confirm, but I believe the spools from the 331, 330, and 285 are interchangeable, except that the spool for the older 285 was made of metal rather than plastic. My first 331 came with a spare spool in the box. One spool had a cork backing, the other plastic. (I still have both.) Some folks have had problems with plastic spools breaking, but in around 50 years of fishing with mine I haven't lost one - yet. Perhaps that's because I've always used monofilament or co-polymer line, never braid.

2Boston

The autumn activity that I miss most is filling silo and pheasant hunting.
After listening to your explanations and descriptions I've decided that as the happy owner of two 285 I am setting pretty. And Fred Is setting me up with 247 parts. I'll be ready for spring...early.
Do you appreciate the high speed of the 331 or is it not that big of a deal?
Thanks TJ

TJAndrews

My brain says it's not so big a deal for me, because mostly I drift-fish. I motor upstream, drop my line, and let the current take me over what I think is a good area.

Keep in mind that the River is about a mile wide where I fish, and even though I can only use the U.S. half, there are still plenty of those good areas. This past July, there was a bass tournament going on, and it was kind of gratifying to see the pros going over the same spots and fishing much as we do, though they seemed to be working a lot harder and enjoying it less.

Anyway, my brain says not a big deal, but I have to admit that each of the three outfits feels different, and that the old 331 feels the most at home in my hands. Of course, the fact that I've fished with my old friend for fifty years and the others only 3 or 4 could be what's making the difference...

2Boston

Its Amazing, I assume your talking of the St Lawrence? I've been so close but never have I seen it. Smallmouth heaven I hear. I fish for Gills, Perch and Pickerel now but I want to expand to Pike and Walleye. My current gear is somewhat small for those last two.

TJAndrews

Quote from: 2Boston on November 13, 2021, 01:43:03 AM
Its Amazing, I assume your talking of the St Lawrence? I've been so close but never have I seen it. Smallmouth heaven I hear. I fish for Gills, Perch and Pickerel now but I want to expand to Pike and Walleye. My current gear is somewhat small for those last two.
Yes, we rent a camp for a week each summer, near Ogdensburg, NY, within view of the Ogdensburg-Prescott International Bridge. My brother and I have been going there for many years, since we were boys. We'll range upstream to the bridge or so, and downstream a few miles to the downstream end of Galop Island, though the vast bulk of our fishing is done in less than half of that stretch.

We might be tempted to go farther, but we're just using a couple of tinnies with 10hp and 15hp outboards from the 50's, the two boats tied to the dock in my first photo in the earlier post. Besides, we've found the fishing isn't any better at the end of our range than in the middle of it. It's good here and there all over.

We go for mental health reasons, so that we may recover our sanity after trying to bale horse hay in July, and to strengthen it before we face the public when we open our farm stand.

2Boston

Yes. The smell of crimped clover or Spivey Timothy. Emery clothing the rust off the knotter on the old 19t baler. The smell of hydraulic oil and old rubber baked to the Massey Fergussons in summer sun. I only have the dreams left.
Once the milking is done we head for some farm pond to whack a bass or two right at dark.

Riy2018

Happy Friday!
DAM 330 missing pin in gear to handle.
what metal or plastic can be used to replace it.
please advise.

Thank you

foakes

Quote from: Riy2018 on December 10, 2021, 03:14:54 PM
Happy Friday!
DAM 330 missing pin in gear to handle.
what metal or plastic can be used to replace it.
please advise.

Thank you

Best to use the correct pin — the tolerances are so exact on these reels.  Not much room for makeshift fixes — although they would work for awhile.  With a new pin — you will never need to worry about it again.

Someone just lost the pin in the grease when disassembling the reel.

PM me your full name and address — and I will drop one in the mail today, N/C.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

foakes

In the mail, Riyad —

It is a steel roll pin — it is designed to compress just enough to insert into the holes connecting the drive gear and crank axle —

Then it naturally becomes a tight fit.

Part # 100038

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

jgp12000

My favorite DQs are my 265 microlite and 220.I prefer the old style AR levers over the N models. I have caught 6+lb bass/cats on both, I believe they could handle most anything in freshwater, with the correct rod, line, and drag setting. I wish I found them out sooner as well, Fred is the DQ guru and has helped me several times on these quality reels.

Riy2018

Riy2018

Quote from: foakes on December 10, 2021, 06:59:18 PM
In the mail, Riyad —

It is a steel roll pin — it is designed to compress just enough to insert into the holes connecting the drive gear and crank axle —

Then it naturally becomes a tight fit.

Part # 100038

Best, Fred

Many Thanks to Mr.Fred Oakes.
part received and fit perfectly.
I was able to complete cleaning and light grease.
DAM 330 & 330N models
some similarity's.
330 heavier and more bulletproof.
330 N lighter and faster.
Haven't used them for fishing.

AU7172

I have always loved to chase smallmouth. They are the King of the bass family in my opinion but they are somewhat scarce here in Alabama. In Ontario however, it's like going to bass heaven. The walleye, well great fun catching. Is there a better tasting freshwater fish?

TJAndrews

Quote from: AU7172 on February 09, 2022, 10:55:24 PM
I have always loved to chase smallmouth. They are the King of the bass family in my opinion but they are somewhat scarce here in Alabama. In Ontario however, it's like going to bass heaven. The walleye, well great fun catching. Is there a better tasting freshwater fish?
Ontario... The lake or the province? Or the county in New York State? Could be any or all of them. I haven't fished in Ontario Province of Canada, at least, not on purpose. I'm "limited" to staying in NY when on the St. Lawrence, as that's where my lifetime fishing license is good. No worries - the fishing is just as good on this side of the border.

Walleye... Just fried up a filet last evening - made myself a couple of nice fish sandwiches with it. Mighty tasty!

Wompus Cat

Quote from: AU7172 on February 09, 2022, 10:55:24 PM

Both those fishies is good eating and we use to have Walleye here in my neck of the woods and lots of Small Mouth .
With the introduction of Stripers here at  Lake Whitney they ATE All the Small Mouth  along with 3 or 4 FISH KILLS over the last 20 years from what the EGG SPURTZ say was Golden Algae.
In the early 70's they put Walleye in Eagle Mountain Lake up in Ft. Worth and I caught several over 6 pounds .
Don't know what happened to them .Never here anything about anyone catching any .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him