Squeaky penn 722 after through greasing and lubing

Started by Fishgolfman, November 05, 2021, 06:41:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishgolfman

I have two penn 722 that are very smooth running after greasing gears and lubing. Squeaky Sounds like from rotor area. Remove the rotor and still squeaks a bit.  Do you think its bearings or pinion? Ready to replace bearings on pinion. If i replace what type of bearings penn original or ceramic aftermarket?

foakes

It would be unusual for even worn bearings to squeak after lubing.  But probably not impossible.

And, a properly lubed pinion might squeak — but it is not common.

As to steel or ceramic bearings — I haven't ever used ceramics — but this is a somewhat lightweight reel that could benefit with C-Bearings.  For me, it would depend on price and potential longevity.

Ceramic might be a little smoother?

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

jurelometer

I will definitely defer to Fred on spinning reel debugging, but think it is worth mentioning that in ball bearing terms, nothing is rotating very fast or under much load on a spinning reel, so there is no performance reason to replace with fancy bearings.

Excluding corrosion, it is pretty hard to wear out the bearings on a spinning reel.  Low radial and axial,load, low RPMs, and not very many hours of operation, even if you fish a lot.  Fred sees more spinners in a  week than I see in a lifetime, so I would go with what he has seen, but unless the bearings are really badly aligned, it seems hard to believe that halfway decent stainless bearings will not last a lifetime (excluding saltwater corrosion).

The point of ceramic bearings in fishing reels is the potential for slightly less rolling resistance ( if you do not lube them, and then they can get noisy), and better saltwater corrosion protection (if you go all ceramic, including the races).
I didn't look up the weight difference, but expect that it should be trivial in terms of overall reel weight for a 722. 

-J

Midway Tommy

Lack of maintenance, more or less abuse, can have an adverse effect on ball bearings. I have seen many spinning reels with unshielded bearings, and a few shielded, too, that were full of dirt and sand, not to mention 40+ year old hardened grease. Sometimes when they get that bad you're better off just chucking the old bearing and putting in a new one since they're not that expensive. Most of the time, though, a good soaking in a decent degreaser like lacquer thinner or acetone and healthy blow out with compressed air will take care of lack of maintenance issues. Rusty balls & races are a different story. Those are tough to fix.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

jurelometer

Good point about dirt and sand Tommy.    Forgot about that.  Wouldn't a grit damaged bearing be rough but not squeaky at spinning reel  RPMs (after cleaning/relube)?

-J

oc1

Does it squeek once with every handle turn or once with every rotor rotation?

Midway Tommy

Quote from: jurelometer on November 06, 2021, 02:29:27 AM
Good point about dirt and sand Tommy.    Forgot about that.  Wouldn't a grit damaged bearing be rough but not squeaky at spinning reel  RPMs (after cleaning/relube)?

-J

You are correct. For the life of me I can't figure out what would squeak. ????    ???  Rubbing or scraping sound maybe but there's not much on a spinning reel that would actually squeak unless someone added something plastic or rubber, etc.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

oldmanjoe

"   Remove the rotor and still squeaks a bit.   "    I`m thinking the knob ....
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Fishgolfman

thanks for information and the wisdom! i will probably try,a ceramic and steel as I have two squeaky reels. First,I will pull old bearings and soak as well. I have to get parts anyway from mystic

Wompus Cat

Quote from: oldmanjoe on November 06, 2021, 12:24:31 PM
          "   Remove the rotor and still squeaks a bit.   "    I`m thinking the knob ....

I am with Joe on this one .
Squirt some WD 40 in the ends of the Knobs and at the bases and I bet your Mouse will vacate the premises.
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Swami805

My bet is the knob, maybe it was dropped at some point and the shaft is a little tweaked
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Fishgolfman

Problem solved. Both reels knobs were dry, despite a squirt of oil at end. Only when i took knob and screw off did i see 40 plus years of grime. I little oil and buffing solved the squeaky mouse. Thanks to all.