Main Menu

Glow painted jigs

Started by gstours, November 08, 2021, 12:29:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Here's another question for my quandaries,   What do the bottom fish see?  In a place that's got mostly darkness if this lure was to be seen better would it get hit more? 
  Earlier we talked about different colors and contrasting colors,  glow is another dimension.    Or is something like this going to trigger a negative rod or cone?
  The first picture here is a store bought jig under some indoor light 💡.   The second picture is in a dark room with a time of no light at 12 minutes.

gstours

This third picture is after 15 minutes in the dark.   To me this is expected as a pretty good glow painted lure......  it's as good as any thing I've done using powdered pigment on my earlier work.
   Now the question is are you better off in the name of science 🧪 to use some glow painting on a jig instead of the contrast colors?    Just wondering?
   I've used glow painted spinner blades and glow spin n glows,  and big hootchys and thought this was certainly not hurting anything.     🎣.   Butt never really knew how long the glow would last.
Maybe the glow isn't helping after it's done,  Butt then it's possible it's not hurting anything either?
   Oar maybe the fish 🐟 wants the bait and this is human stupidity?🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

philaroman

looks great to me...  maybe try not so flat/even-colored?
naturally bioluminescent creatures seem more blotchy, or "veiny",
or glow concentrated in one/some area(s) of body

oc1

I'm not sure about the whole glow thing.  The fish know it's dark and they are there for a reason.... because they know from experience that they may get something to eat.  The fact that the fish is there indicates that it has the senses to detect prey.  Smell, vibrations, ghostly shadows, how knows?  If there is a bioluminescent squid down there then that's a different story.  Swordfishing in 1000 ft relies on glow sticks.

gstours

Thanks for your comments ,  I agree that vibration, smell, and any movement might be useful and possibly to a larger degree than vision alone.    And if it seems unnatural or overwhelming to the fish brain it may be a negative reaction.    I might call these shy fish?   Halibut in particular are ambush type feeders and don't seem to be fussy about the presentation of the bait.   
  I would normally reel up and rebait or inject more scented oils in 8-10 minutes of jigging so the glow jig could be changed out topside with another choice and dropped to gain a better chance.
        Blotches and dots would be simple.   Thanks 🙏.

Decker

I thought this video may help.  Water is probably murkier than in Alaska.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E00IRog1DFs&ab_channel=JohnSkinnerFishing

Gary, do you use copper jigs?  I've seen that they use them in Alaska, and have wondered about the electro-magnetic attraction they might have.

jurelometer

Interesting video. Thanks for posting. I may have missed something because I skimmed the video and then listened to the whole thing in the background.  But I think that this guy jumped to too many conclusions based on limited data and some faulty reasoning.

You gotta give the guy in the video credit for being willing  to fish black in daylight and swapping rods with his buddy, and choosing black, chrome and glow (but not white) for his test colors.  But he still needs some work on his sciencing :)

First of all, he is assuming that what the fish can see is the same as  what the camera can see.  But just because the video camera is not sensitive enough to register an image does not mean that the fish is in the dark. And direction matters, looking up vs down vs horizontal,  sand bottom vs mud or weeds.

Fishing a couple hours one day with some non-controlled swapping of colors does not tell you much either.   If I picked the wrong window of time and order of testing, I could have decided that tuna won't go after live bait at all, preferring slowly worked surface poppers.

Re chrome being "invisible ": It is pretty hard to snag multiple fish that are not near the lure for a reason when doing a slow vertical bounce jigging action.  Even leaving the lateral line out the equation for now, the leader is usually going to rub and scare off the fish.  A more likely scenario is that the chrome flash attracted the fish, but did not inspire the bite. For example, a big  flash can be a signal that another fish is feeding, as opposed to being food itself.  A large reflective surface does not work as a cloaking device the way that a large number of small scales all facing slightly different angles do.  What he is calling "Invisible" is  the chrome jig at a point when it is  not reflecting any light waves.   Which is the same as what would happen with pure black in the same situation. Black is the absence of reflected light, not a light frequency.

There is more to go into on how highly reflective surfaces work with light waves, but maybe better to save this for another post.

Flash is an interesting variable.  A few species are heavily triggered by it- the more the better. Others are triggered only in certain circumstances, and some put off.  A large flash can be a signal of danger- a larger predator in the vicinity.  The folks that fly fish the most for rooster fish prefer little to no flash (I typically use  just a couple strands), but a fast worked chrome spoon will usually outfish flies.

Nice to see somebody taking black seriously, but I would not take any of the conclusions from this video as definitive.  What we have learned is that in one situation,  weakfish will bite a glow, black  or chrome diamond jig, possibly even preferring glow over black over chrome in this situation.  And that switching things up a bit every now and then might be useful.

So many variables in fishing that there are really only two viable strategies.  The first is to try to use science and logic to narrow down what might work.  The second is to use collective experience and simply repeat what already. works- maybe not the lucky hat and banana stuff, but time of day, tides, depths, lure model, size, color, retrieve, etc.  I find the former more interesting, but the latter will probably catch you more fish, especially in the short run.

-J

Decker

OK, should I take down the post?   :)  Sorry to mess up the thread, Gary.  :P

jurelometer

Oops, was I too harsh there?   Sorry about that.  Edited to make clear that the info was  useful but not definitive IMHO.     Easier to be a critic than a content creator, but I still say that the guy has the science a bit sideways.  And he did talk about glow vs other colors.

He is way better than most of the Youtube "experts" out there.  

-J

gstours

Hey people to all,   Thanks for your comments...This is a Topic for conversation in a Lab,  or a lunch setting anyway.......
      anything that i can gain here is free and good for others that might be freaks.    That said theres a lot in fishing that i,m interested in.
        Everyone is forgiven,   lets talk.    Winters coming.     >:(

Dominick

Quote from: Decker on November 08, 2021, 11:25:50 PM
OK, should I take down the post?   :)  Sorry to mess up the thread, Gary.  :P

No do not take it down.  It is information.  Some of which is useful.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Decker

Quote from: jurelometer on November 09, 2021, 12:42:09 AM
Oops, was I too harsh there?   Sorry about that.  

Dave, no, I should apologize, and admit I was trolling, but not with bad intent.  I appreciate your wit.

Quote from: gstours on November 09, 2021, 01:16:23 AM
       Everyone is forgiven,   lets talk.    Winters coming.     >:(

;D"Winter's coming," is like proclaiming judgement day up North there.  Better make your peace and stock your shelves.;)

I love you guys...  Back to the glow jigs.  

whalebreath

There are two baits where OP lives that are bioluminescent-Needlefish & Squid- and both Salmon & Groundfish target them.

If you're going to go Glow then use Strontium Aluminate and nothing else-there's all kinds of info on the net and all kinds of places selling it  claiming to have some nonsensical 'exclusive' product but in fact it's easy to find and not expensive at all-tape, powder or paint all work fine and last for hours.

otownjoe

I have seen instances where people use glow egg sinkers to attract fish. At times it will out fish regular methods 2 to 1. I think the fact that squid can flash light will always make glow a good option.

smnaguwa

"J" - have you found any research on halibut vision and feeding? Is it possible the deep penetrating ultraviolet light may be recharging the glow paint in deep water and make the jig more visible? If so, could it help when using the jig for halibut?