Main Menu

Glow painted jigs

Started by gstours, November 08, 2021, 12:29:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Thanks for more feedback, :).    I do know that in the halibut commercial longline fishery the hooks are bare, baited, and sunk 1000 feet and in the black cod fishery up here 2000 feet is common.
   That said these fish live there for a reason and have been built with the abilities to find food.
       Butt also many many hooks in a line may bring in the fish to food, this is something i can't do in sports fishing.🎣. 
This earlier topic on The kodiak jig shows a black lure bait carrier that is something that I've been watching for a few years.   Butt I would not say it out performs other "conventional " jigs either. ???
  I,m here to learn how to improve my reasoning and should have stayed awake in science class!

jurelometer

Quote from: smnaguwa on November 09, 2021, 03:07:23 PM
"J" - have you found any research on halibut vision and feeding? Is it possible the deep penetrating ultraviolet light may be recharging the glow paint in deep water and make the jig more visible? If so, could it help when using the jig for halibut?

Zero on halibut vision.  My guess is that they don't see all that well, so not a very sexy subject to research.   Acres and acres of papers on billfish vision.  I suspect that they enjoy using our tax dollars for marlin sample collection.  I don't have online access to the scientific journals any more, so I have to go begging when I find something.  Pretty frustrating, as the research itself is often publicly funded.  So there is definitely  stuff out there that I have nots seen.

I am  going to have to go into contrarian mode again (sorry  :) ). :

I read over and over again in fishing literature about UV light at depth.  I don't know where it started, but it is not true. Maybe because the frequency is at the high end (more energy), or maybe because UV claims can be used to sell fishing tackle.

What we call visible light (what humans can see) happens to be  the range of electromagnetic frequencies that can readily pass through water. Makes sense since our eyeballs are mostly water.

UV-A is right at the borderline. In absolutely perfect conditions with crystal clear water at midday at the equator, it might reach 30 feet or so if my memory is correct, which is much less than it,s closest visible neighbor of violet..   UV is more readily absorbed by impurities in the water, and more subject to refraction (scattered light),  so outside of the tropics or maybe a clear mountain stream, we are talking about a couple feet of depth before it becomes useless.    And even that 30 foot number can be deceiving.  It is petering out the whole way down, so that max number is the last point where just a trickle is left.

Oh, and UV  light is not visible to a large number of fish species.   I read somewhere that  about half of the tropical  reef species sampled  in one ecosystem had some UV capability, and some trout/salmon species have UV vision  for at least part of the lifecycle.

UV is not visible to humans.  It is damaging to living tissue, so our eyes have some way of filtering it out to help minimize the damage.  What they call UV colors in fishing lures is usually UV fluorescent.  It takes in UV light inbound, but  kicks out something in the visible spectrum, meaning that it will be useless in the water where UV light cannot reach, unless it is also fluorescing some visible light frequencies.  If the lure was truly UV reflective, we would not be able to tell.

Glow pigments recharge with light other than UV, it is just UV light is more efficient.  But there is not going to be much light of any kind at depth in halibut country.

If I can find a paper on UV light and water, I will post it.

-J