The List - SOA 3-day, June 14-17 - Alan Tani, chartermaster

Started by alantani, November 11, 2021, 12:37:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

q3fishboy

Mjg378

alantani

ok, 24 guys, all checks received.  i'll be sending a check in to andrea this week.  done.  whew!!!!!! 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bill B

Thanks Boss, we all appreciate you efforts to make this happen.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

alantani

gentlemen, welcome and thank you very much for signing up for this trip.  if you have been following the san diego reports, you know that they have been catching bluefin and that they have been getting bigger.  this bodes well for us!  many of you have done these short range bluefin trips many times before and know what to expect.  and many have not.  what i would like to do is go over everything from where to stay on arrival to how to get your fish processed before departure. 

1. Passports and licenses - everyone must have a current passport, and i believe that all of you do.  we will most likely need california fishing licenses.  for most of us that live in california, make sure that your california license has an ocean enhancement stamp on it.  licenses for short term or out of state people can be purchased at the landing.  so far, the boats are fishing in US waters.  if we have to go to mexico, then a passport and mexican license will be needed.  you will already have your passport.  the landing will get mexican licenses for us. 

2. Arrival in San Diego - most of us will be arriving the day before.  there are two hotels at the landing.  one is the old vagabond, now called the sea harbor hotel, on scott street.  https://www.seaharborhotel.com/  the other is the ramada on 1403 Rosecrans St, San Diego.  both places are dumps, but for one night they're fine.  if you don't have a traveling buddy already, check the list and see who lives close to you and send them an email or text.  you might be able to travel together and save some money.  we usually gather at miguel's cocina on scott street the night before.  drinks at 5pm, dinner at 6. 

3. Rods and reels - i highly recommend two speed lever drag reels only, avoid single speed lever drag and star drag reels if you can.  lighter reels should be loaded with braid and fluorocarbon leaders.  for heavier rigs, braid and mono might do quite well so that you can avoid the high cost of fluorocarbon. 

here you will get as many recommendations as there are people to voice them.  judging by the way fishing has been, i would definitely recommend three rods and reels - a 30 pound outfit, then a 40 to 50 pound outfit, and finally a 60 to 80 pound outfit.  if you have something in a 100 to 130 pound range, that's fine.  so, basically 3 rods and 3 reels is all you might need for a trip like this.  set the drags with a scale to give you 30% of your topshot line weight at strike.  as an example, a 50 pound rig would be set to 15 pounds of drag at strike.  then push the reel to full and see what kind of drag you get at full.  that way you know. just in case you hook into something big.  if you are going to need help with gear, please let me know.

4. Hooks - for bluefin, i would recommend ringed owner circle hooks in 2/0, 4/0 and 6/0 sizes. pocket packs of six to eight hooks in these sizes should be fine.  you could even go with 1/0, 3/0 and 5/0.  it's just not necessary to have every size.  https://www.ringedhooks.com/products/owner-mutu-circle-ringed-hooks.html

an assortment of small j-hooks is also good, maybe in #4, #1 and #2/0.  maybe pocket packs of six to eight count pack of these as well.  https://www.ringedhooks.com/products/owner-flyliner-live-bait-ringed-hooks.html

you really don't need that much.  and if you run out of hooks, you've had a fabulous trip!!!!!

5.  Jigs - these are more to catch anglers than fish, but they do work.  sometimes these fish will only bite the smaller colt snipers.  https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Current-Sniper-Fishing-Lures/dp/B07GTDSQFW

james kikkawa has a really nice line of the 100 to 300 gram larger knife jigs.  you can reach him at (626) 988-3632  or  on Instagram @jameskikkawa or @westcoastjiggerz or Facebook James Kikkawa.  he's a smart kid and really keeps track of what's biting, so he's a good one to talk to.

and lastly, there are the monster knife jigs and flat falls that go up to 500 grams in weight.  right now, the fish are smaller, but you never know when these larger fish that eat these larger jigs will come through.  check with james, but you might have to go with amazon.

6. sinkers - we might use sinker rigs, which involves a live bait on a mono or fluoro leader and an 8, 10, 12 or 16 ounce torpedo sinker that is rubber banded 15 to 20 feet above the bait.  a #64 size rubber band works great for this application. 

7. troll/kite rotation - for trolling and kite/balloon fishing, the boat will have gear, so you don't have to worry.  if you have a 100 to 130 pound line class rod and reel, feel free to bring it.  we will likely not be trolling much, but we should be running a kite or balloon and there will be a rotation.  random numbers will be drawn to pick the order for that. 

8. Boarding the boat - we'll have breakfast at the denny's on rosecrans first thing in the morning.  i'll need everyone there by 9am.  we will board somewhere between 10 and 11am.  cabins will be assigned.  so will rod storage, port and starboard.  tackle box storage will not be pre-assigned, but you will not be needing a full long range tackle box, anyway.  everything you need for tackle should fit in a shoe box.  it's only a 3 day trip. 

9. Fish processing - we have reservations with Fisherman's processing (619) 255-3128 for our return date, June 17th.  the price is now up to $1.50 per pound of whole fish.  you will need to call them and confirm. i generally go for 5 mil bags, 1 pound packs, bellies, collars and same day service.  we will try to get back to the dock ahead of the other boats.   once docked, we will need some serious hustle to get gear off the boat.  then we have to get fish off the boat, up to the sidewalk and to the processor.  there may be other processing companies at the dock.  you can certainly book with someone else if you wish to, but you absolutely must make a reservation ahead of time.  Five Star is at (888) 253-9692 and Sportsmen's Seafood (619) 224-3551.

breakfast will be a perry's cafe while we wait for fish.  perry's is right across the street from fisherman's processing.

10. Things to do now - if you are looking for someone to travel with or split a room at a hotel with, check the list below, see where people live and get in contact. book a hotel now if you need one. i will be checking in and talking to all of you later as well to see where everyone is with that.  also, figure out if you need same day fish processing and contact fisherman's processing or one of other two companies and get a reservation in.  getting fish done the same day is always stressful.  there might be shipping options or late pick up options, but none of these is easy or cheap. 

that's is for now.  i'm certain that there will be more later.  thanks!  alan

Bill B

Just made reservations with Mario's Fish Processing.  Heard from another member that they did a good job his last trip.  Of course they are the other way from Fisherman's Processing but it won't keep me from breakfast at Perry's. 

alantani

Anthony Manietta

Good morning gentleman a newbie here I hope I do not hijack This Thread I just would love to ask a few questions.

First off this sounds like an awesome trip I've been watching Alan Tani's website for several years and I love it Alan is very knowledgeable man and a true asset to the fishing world thank you Alan Tani.

I'm the kind of guy that goes on 2 day trips occasional five day trips and a yearly 10-day trip some guys look at my equipment and kind of scuffle and laugh at me because I generally just bring 2 travel rods 1 maybe two one piece rods and a little bigger than a shoe box for equipment sometimes I might go to a pelican laptop case that's about as big as I bring for gear.

Through the years like most I have switched from star Drag reels to lever drag reels with the exception of three small reels that I still love that are Star drag other than that everything else is a lever drag reel.

My question is since this is a nice small party boat that most of you have been going on year after year I'm curious of what type of gear that you guys bring on your 3-day trip? Just rod and reel combinations like Alan said you only need to bring 3.

My question is because even when I go on a 10-day trip I only brought 5 reels and 4 rods. I have more sitting at home hanging on the wall for beautiful artwork then I actually take on a fishing trip for 10 days I'm a minimalist that's why I'm asking the question. When I travel to Cabo my friend has a boat and I literally go down there with a pelican case that's about 36L X 14W X 5H this case packed with all my travel rods all my fishing gear and reels included and one other check in luggage for clothes I have two one piece Rods that I keep in Cabo.

Thank you everyone good luck on your trip tight lines.  Again I hope I do not hijack this post.

Thanks All
Anthony

Keta

Questions are never "hijacking".

I try to minimize my rods but usual bring 9-10 on a 8-10 day trip.  For this trip, unless large fish show up, I am bringing a 25#, 30#, 40#, 60# and a 80#.  I am also bringing gear for my son but he will not have a 25#, unless he steals mine.  All but 1 will be lever drag but I might decide to leave the star drag home between now and mid June.

PS Ignore the tackle whores giving you odd looks on your 10 day trips, use what you are comfortable with and have fun.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

pjstevko

Anthony you posed very interesting questions....I try to be a minimalist but I tend to bring the same amount of set ups and tackle whether it's a 1.5 day or 3 day which is the longest trip i've done.

I'm not on the June trip but I am on the July 3 day and I'll bring my "normal" set ups. I bring 30, 40, 60, 80, 100 and 50/60 spinner.

pj

Bill B

I'm new to the longer trips, 1 3 day and 1 8 day, last year.  I borrowed a trolling rig and used the boats kite rig.  I used a Fathom25NLD2, Fathom 40NLD2, and Baja Special for most of my fishing.  I had a couple back up star drags that were rarely used.  For tackle I took the "Kitchen Sink" and what I ended up using would have fit in a shoe box.  Hooks, sinkers, leader, and a handful of irons.  Take what you are comfortable with.  No need to bring a Tackle Store with you.  Bill

Keta

I think you didn't even have to bring hooks on the 8 day Bill... ;O)

Mark Twain

Bill B

Quote from: Keta on May 05, 2022, 05:04:40 PMI think you didn't even have to bring hooks on the 8 day Bill... ;O)

That's Right!  Thanks to the generosity of Bryan and you only used maybe 3 of my hooks and the rest were the Mustad Demons.  Still have a box that you gave me and enough to last me 4 more trips! 

That's what is so special about Alan's charters.  With this group you could literally board with a duffel bag and shaving kit and have enough tackle to borrow you could fish a 2 different rigs each day and never fish the same rig twice.

alantani

From: admin@soasportfishing.com <admin@soasportfishing.com>
Date: Tue, May 3, 2022 at 11:10 PM
Subject: Spirit of Adventure Fishing Information
To: <phildez2@aim.com>, <jcox@coxmachine.com>, <daniel_scanlon91@yahoo.com>, <bill.barella@gmail.com>, <1fishhunter@sbcglobal.net>

Hello Anglers!

Thank you once again for booking with the Spirit of Adventure! The fishing season is quickly approaching so we would like to send out some friendly reminders and information for you to share to better prepare for your upcoming trip.

1.We are currently not requiring COVID testing for trips shorter than 7 days, but this may change at any time. If and when they are required, rapid tests will be available at a small cost dockside. Please board at your own discretion.

2. We ask you still bring your own pillows and blankets for sanitation purposes. A bottom/fitted sheet will still be provided on your mattress. Should you need a pillow and blanket due to travel, please contact us via email: admin@soasportfishing.com. We are following strict sanitation guidelines for the safety of our crew and passengers and our crew is regularly tested regardless of vaccination status.

3. Reminder to bring your own reusable water bottle. The vessel is equipped with a purified water faucet and an ice machine. No water bottles are sold on board. Beer and soda are available for purchase.

4.  For all trips departing at 11:00am, check in will begin at 9:00am. Lunch will be served. For all trips departing at 6:00pm, check in will begin at 4:00pm. A light dinner will be served.

5. California fishing licenses are not included in your trip cost and can be purchased at H&M Landing on the day of departure.

6. Mexican fishing licenses also are not included in your trip cost but will be purchased by our staff on the day of departure.

7. Passports are only required for trips 3 days or more.

8. Outstanding balances are due 2 weeks before trip departure. Please contact our office for any necessary arrangements/considerations.

9. Rods and reels are available for rent at a limited quantity at a rate of $15/day per outfit due at sign-in. If you need to reserve a setup, please contact our office asap.

10. In addition to license and permit costs, we recommend passengers bring cash for the following: jackpot participation, beverage/galley tabs, rental equipment, crew tips/gratuities, and Spirit of Adventure merchandise.

11. A fuel service charge may apply depending on price of diesel at time of departure.

Charter masters, please provide us with your list of anglers as soon as possible so we can update our passenger lists. Please also let us know if you will be needing us to assign bunks or if you will be doing so. If any of the anglers on your trip require special dietary restrictions, let us know in advance in order to properly accommodate their needs.

For additional information regarding your trip, please contact our office via email or phone at admin@soasportfishing.com or (619) 549-8002. For any tackle or equipment related questions, please contact H&M Landing at info@hmlanding.com or (619) 222-1144.

We look forward to a great season!

Thank you,

Andrea
Office Administrator

admin@soasportfishing.com
(619) 549-8002
2803 Emerson St
San Diego, CA 92106