The List - SOA 3-day, June 14-17 - Alan Tani, chartermaster

Started by alantani, November 11, 2021, 12:37:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

Great write up Bill.  These reports get the blood flowing.  I am also interested in the knots for flouro.  I lost a wahoo because a knot I tied unraveled.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

David Hall

:cf   great reports, got my morning blood moving once again.  :d Big congratulations to you all  :al . Now I am rethinking all my gear choices.  Did any of the 30# rigs get used?  might just leave it at home on the next trip and go  :fish  with 50-100-130.

Rocket Dog

How much weight was recommended for the sinker rig? 6, 8, 10, 0r 12 oz? I might leave some Jigs at home in-luie sinkers

Aiala

Quote from: Bill B on June 18, 2022, 12:12:22 AMParking at the lot is pretty simple: go to the machine, punch a few buttons, insert your credit card, and pay for the days you will be there.

Sounds reasonably do-able... Where is the machine located? Does it give you a receipt or something to put in your windshield? Any mention of handicapped placards?  ???

Many thanks!  :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

MarkT

Yes, it prints out a receipt you leave on your dashboard.  There's a machine on the sidewalk near each of the 3 landings.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Bill B

To answer a few questions, I used a San Diego jam on the 2/0 ringed circle hook, the torpedo sinkers we're 6 oz. 8 oz would have been good also just to get quickly down to the zone.  Only once did I have an issue with the bait tangling.  But then there is no way of knowing on the three fish I hooked up, lost the sinkers on all of them.  I included a photo of the flouro/braid the deckhand tied.  Hopefully someone can identify it.  That same connection caught both fish without re-tying.  I tried using a 340 gram knife jig on 100 lb but had a hard time staying up and down. 
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

pjstevko

A few boats questions for anyone who might wanna answer....

How does the boat drift? Stern or bow first?

How cold were the staterooms? Would just a single blanket keep you warm enough or would you recommend multiple?

Would I be better off brining a water bottle or can I use a 40oz tumbler? Where there cup holders?

What's the tackle station like? Plenty of room for everyone?

I'm sure I'll have more but TIA for the answers....

PJ

MarkT

Bill, that looks like a uni-uni to me. 
I was still scoping out with a 420 gm knife jig.
I have a Rapala line counter rather than marking my line.  Works well!

It seemed that if you went in at the stern you'd eventually end up at the bow.
A single blanket was fine, even then I ended up feeling warm.
I had a water bottle, no cup holders.
Tackle storage was ok, most people didn't go overboard with tons of stuff.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

pjstevko

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: Hamachi on June 18, 2022, 03:43:10 PM
Quote from: Vintage Offshore Tackle on June 18, 2022, 06:27:26 AMGreat job on the 50 lb. Warren!  Was anyone fishing the sinker rig in the dark, and did anyone get bit on it?
I don't think so, it was hard to tell with so few bites. It seems like daytime sinker rigs, nighttime knife jigs, not much current on this trip, so the heavies weren't necessary. I saw one jig fish.

Thank you Warren.  It seems like it would be worth giving it a shot, unless the jigs are getting bit good. 

Bill B

As each trip is different, I took a 20, 40, 50, and 80.  Mark was gracious to loan me a 100#.  I used the 80# the most for sinker rigs.  The 40 was used for flyline and used maybe 6 times and the 100 used for jigs.  So had 5 rigs and used only 3. As Alan said earlier not a lot of tackle needed on these trips and what I used would have fit in an ammo can (a couple jigs, sinkers, leaders, and hooks) We were allotted 5 spots per angler on the racks.  There is plenty of room upstairs but no rod holders.  A milk crate would work great for storage upstairs.  Your mileage may vary.  It's hard to leave the kitchen sink behind.  99% of what I took never left the bag.  Bill

Bill B

No super glue used.  Watched him tie it up, just didn't know the knots.

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Bill B on June 18, 2022, 09:13:46 PMNo super glue used.  Watched him tie it up, just didn't know the knots.

What you have there is a HELLUVA !
could be a Double uni Knot too???
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

CI_Seawolf

Different spots had more or less current.  I was successful by going to my 100/100 mono top shot  outfit.  I used the normal rubber band method with a 10 oz sinker, and 3/0 ringed Charlie Brown Circle hook.  I was amazed that the hook was perfectly set in the hinge of the fishes' jaw, and looked perfect after landing it.  I had a wind on connection from mono to braid, and a single San Diego jam knot.  Even with 10 ounces there was scope.  The captain said that the fish were showing at 200 ft, I let out to my 250 foot mark and got bit. I used both a 250 gm SK jig and a 320 gm nomad knife jig to no avail.  Seas were pretty good.  My cabin was at the aft bulkhead to the engine room, earplugs made it a bit more comfortable. As far as rods, I took 2 100/100, 1 80/60, 1 65/50, 1 50/30, and a 50/50 spinning rod for popper fishing.  There were a lot of folks that brought scales to check drags, and everyone was really helpful in helping set drags at strike.  We did drop down and fish 30 a time or two, when the captain said he saw small fish on the meter.  When in doubt, just bring some fluorocarbon leader material and use a triple surgeon knot to put a 6' trace leader on .
Stay Classy!

Rocket Dog

:d THanks for the intel everyone. I was thinking 5 sticks 100, 80, 60 and two jig sticks for fun with plenty of floro to cover. 

How big was the bait?