The List - SOA 3-day, June 14-17 - Alan Tani, chartermaster

Started by alantani, November 11, 2021, 12:37:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkT

THe fish were big Memorial day weekend! I went 2 out of 4. I got a 25# and a 80-90#. At one point we went looking for smaller fish that we could actually handle... it didn't work, we kept finding big ones! A sinker rig worked best during the day, jigs at night.

THe 2 I lost were much bigger ones. I had one ready for the gaff when the line broke after having rubbed on the hull that probably went 150. I was fishing 60 on that one. I had another one on that decided he didn't want to play anymore and just took off for the horizon... he chewed off my 80# fluoro after ripping off 450yds of 80#!  The biggest landed on the boat was about 200, another 185, and a few over 100#.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

pjstevko

Quote from: MarkT on May 31, 2022, 02:10:40 PMTHe fish were big Memorial day weekend! I went 2 out of 4. I got a 25# and a 80-90#. At one point we went looking for smaller fish that we could actually handle... it didn't work, we kept finding big ones! A sinker rig worked best during the day, jigs at night.

THe 2 I lost were much bigger ones. I had one ready for the gaff when the line broke after having rubbed on the hull that probably went 150. I was fishing 60 on that one. I had another one on that decided he didn't want to play anymore and just took off for the horizon... he chewed off my 80# fluoro after ripping off 450yds of 80#!  The biggest landed on the boat was about 200, another 185, and a few over 100#.
Sounds like a great trip!

Hardy Boy

Sashimi at Mark's !! .................... I'm in .

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Bill B

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

sciaenops

I was on the Liberty the past weekend and pretty much replicated Mark's trip. Got 3 cookie cutters (75-80#) on the sinker rig during the day. Got chewed off on my last hookup after 1.5 h - weak link was my 60# fluoro leader. The serious jiggers (not me) did well on 300-400g knife jigs (KB blue/chrome & blue/pink). Fish up to 170# for our group with half being nicer grade (> 70#).

Got skunked on the Intrepid 3-d 2 weeks ago after the week-long wind event scattered the fish but pretty much same story (daytime sinker; nightime jigging) for those who caught.

Good luck on your trip. Will be out there on another boat that week.   

Oh yeah, bait were decent 5-6" sardines over the weekend; alot better than 2 weeks ago.  You can check on bait size on Everingham Bros Facebook page (usually updated daily or close to).

pjstevko

I'm new to fishing the sinker rig and was hoping someone might answer a couple questions....

How do you hook the bait? Through the nose or up through the lower and top jaw?

How slow do you drop the bait to ensure it doesn't wrap up on itself?

Once in the zone to you just hold the bait there or do you constantly lower and reel up the bait?

Thanks
PJ 

Bill B

MarkT

You hook the Sardine sideways through the nose. I just drop it down until I figure it's in the zone.  I advance the lever  enough to keep the sinker from pulling line.  I let it sit for a little so let the Sardine drift back.  I put it in low and retrieve slowly.  It's easier to go slow in low!  When I feel it get picked up I advance the drag enough to set the hook and when it starts taking drag I advance to strike. I use a bigger hook than I would for flylining since the bait isn't having to drag the hook around.  One of the guys was using a #2 circle since that's what was recommended for flylining and pulled the hook several times.  He got one after I told him to use a bigger hook!

sciaenops

When fish are being marked under the boat, keep your line vertical as much as possible. A fast drop to zone followed by the slow feeding/retrieve is standard. You can/will get hit both going & coming.

Select/adjust weight based on drift/current/depth fish are being marked. secure the lead "in line" to reduce tangling.

If fish are keeping their distance (or when drifting away from the pens), a slower sink Carolina rig may be the ticket. Just place the egg/keeper above leader knot. I've seen this rig catch when heavier sinkers weren't.

When bit, no need to rush - a gradual drag advance to strike/full will work fine. When retrieving, stay in hi gear or be ready to switch quickly if the beast rushes you.

Bill B

This just in from the SOA... as expected there will be a $25 fuel surcharge per day, passports will be required, no CV-19 test for the 3 day, and bring your own bedding.  If traveling long distance you can make arrangements with them for bedding.

Hello All -

As our fishing season quickly approaches, we wanted to send out a few key updates and reminders:

Fuel service charges
Due to the current price of diesel fuel, the following charges will be collected as follows:
For June charters, a fuel sur charge of $25 per passenger / per day will be collected upon check-in
Price may vary throughout the course of the season to reflect the current diesel fuel rates
We are currently not requiring COVID testing for trips shorter than 7 days, but this may change at any time. If and when they are required, rapid tests will be available at a small cost dockside. Please board at your own discretion. 

We ask you still bring your own pillows and blankets for sanitation purposes. A bottom/fitted sheet will still be provided on your mattress. Should you need a pillow and blanket due to travel, please contact us via email: admin@soasportfishing.com. We are following strict sanitation guidelines for the safety of our crew and passengers and our crew is regularly tested regardless of vaccination status.

Reminder to bring your own reusable water bottle. The vessel is equipped with a purified water faucet and an ice machine. No water bottles are sold on board. Beer and soda are available for purchase.

For all trips departing at 11:00am, check in will begin at 9:00am. Lunch will be served.

For all trips departing at 6:00pm, check in will begin at 4:00pm. A light dinner will be served.

California fishing licenses are not included in your trip cost and can be purchased at H&M Landing on the day of departure.

Mexican fishing licenses also are not included in your trip cost but will be purchased by our staff on the day of departure. 

Passports are only required for trips 3 days or more.

Outstanding balances are due 2 weeks before trip departure. Please contact our office for any necessary arrangements/considerations.

Rods and reels are available for rent at a limited quantity at a rate of $15/day per outfit due at sign-in. If you need to reserve a setup, please contact our office asap.

In addition to license and permit costs, we recommend passengers bring cash for the following: jackpot participation, beverage/galley tabs, rental equipment, crew tips/gratuities, and Spirit of Adventure merchandise.

Announcement:

Thank you all for fishing with the Spirit of Adventure. We are grateful to continue to have you all on board year after year. Also as we look forward to the 2022 fishing season, we wanted to take this time to introduce you all to our newest member of the team – Denise Muller! Denise will be joining us as the new admin of the Spirit of Adventure. She will be your point of contact for all administrative needs ensuring your booking and onboarding processes are seamless.

Thank you all again for choosing the Spirit of Adventure. Let's make it a great year!

Thank you,

Office Administrator

MarkT

New Tackle recommendations from Fisherman's Landing
25 pound outfit for Yellowtail fishing
40 to 60 pound outfits to fish smaller Bluefin Tuna. Under 80 pounds
80 to 130 pound outfits for night time fishing and Sinker Rigs.
2/0 and 3/0 ringed hooks. No thin wire hooks
8 to 12oz Sinkers with rubberbands.
150 to 250 gram flatfall and knife jigs for day time fishing. Color doesn't matter right now. Change the stock hooks.
300 to 400 gram flatfall and knife jigs for night time fishing. Color doesn't matter right now. Change the stock hooks.

Aiala

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

pjstevko

Quote from: Aiala on June 01, 2022, 05:26:28 PM
Quote from: MarkT on June 01, 2022, 03:43:05 PMChange the stock hooks.

Splendid idea... to what should I change them?  :-\

~A~

Mustad heavy duty assist hooks! The ones with the braided cord

MarkT

I put a Owner Stinger treble on the bottom and a Mustad HD assist hook at the top.  So far, it's been the treble sticking them.