Hoop Net Crabs

Started by Crab Pot, November 13, 2021, 03:39:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crab Pot

Went out Thursday on the Sea Bass of Berkeley.

I was pleasantly surprised not to see the Homeless City on the University Ave exit off 80. They have been cleared out, the city has cleaned the area up, and it is fenced off.

Any way we got off to a late start we were a charter, due to most of of the group being in a bus and they got lost.

The weather was amazing flat calm both in the bay and on the ocean.

Seeing how hoop nets have to be checked every two hours by law the trip was not a combo. We set our 35 hoop nets and turned around and checked them all day. The trip was nothing but a boat ride.

We took 26 limits counting the crew. Most were jumbos.

Was shocked that we didn't see a single whale, I went out two weeks prior and counted dozens.

Not a single turtle either...which I never seen ever in my 56 years.

Fun trip, good company.

Berkeley has a cooking and cleaning service next to the bait shop. I think it's $1 or $2 per crab to get them cooked and cleaned.

Buy it nice or buy it twice.

gstours

Thanks for your pictures and info,  glad you got out and found some nice crab too.   mmmmm. ;)

Gobi King

Flat seas are few are far,  glad you crabbed out,
looks like construction under the bridge. Thanks for the pictorial journey :-)
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Shark Hunter

I really miss eating crab legs.
The Pandemic has pretty much eliminated them from my neck of the woods.
I have only seen snow crab legs at Krogers for $45 for a 2lb box.
I am not paying that.
Life is Good!

Ron Jones

Never thought anything so good could come out of Berkeley.
Glad you enjoyed the trip.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Hardy Boy

Hoop net for sure is the fastest way to catch crabs ...................... just cuts into fishing time. I would rather eat crab than rockfish anyday though.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd