Help! Shimano Tyrnos 10II will not free spool unless you push on preset knob

Started by Vintage Offshore Tackle, November 12, 2021, 08:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vintage Offshore Tackle

I just purchased a used Shimano Tyrnos 10II.  It seems to work well except that it will not free spool unless you push in on the preset knob.  Is there any easy way that a mechanically challenged person can fix this?

Thank you!

handi2

Randy I bet the spool or brake disc bearing is hanging up on the spool shaft. It may be rusted.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: handi2 on November 12, 2021, 10:06:20 PM
Randy I bet the spool or brake disc bearing is hanging up on the spool shaft. It may be rusted.

Keith

Thank you Keith, but when I take the reel apart, the spool spins freely on the shaft, and when I put the shaft into the right side plate and in the left side plate.  It's just when the reel is assembled that the spool doesn't go far enough to the left to free spool.  When I push in on the drag pre-set knob it moves the spool to the left and it free spools fine.  Given my lack of mechanical aptitude, I can't figure out what is supposed to push the spool to the left for free spool.

Randy

MarkT

The drag plate rides on a bearing that has to slide on the spool shaft. If it gets stuck to the shaft you get the problem you're experiencing.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: MarkT on November 13, 2021, 01:52:20 AM
The drag plate rides on a bearing that has to slide on the spool shaft. If it gets stuck to the shaft you get the problem you're experiencing.

Thank you Mark, but I'm pretty sure that's not the problem, because the shaft slides quite freely back and forth in the spool.

Wompus Cat

If you got it used someone may have left out one of the Springs between the inner bearings and or the preset Cap .
Do you have a Schematic ?
If not
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: Wompus Cat on November 13, 2021, 02:12:20 AM
If you got it used someone may have left out one of the Springs between the inner bearings and or the preset Cap .
Do you have a Schematic ?
If not

Thank you!  That makes sense.  I will take it apart tomorrow and see if anything appears to be missing in there.