modifying drag curve on 50 LRS

Started by threadfin, November 17, 2021, 07:42:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

threadfin

I have 4 50LRS, spooled with 100lb braid and an 80lb mono topshot,which we use for trolling for Blue Marlin. Strike drag is set at 26lb, but we normally set drag to around 18lb waiting for the strike. The problem I have is that the drag curve is so steep toward strike, that there is only a very small movement of the drag lever between 18lb and strike. Is there anyway to spread out the drag curve or is this just a function of the cam?
Thanks!

UKChris1

If I'm right (and who knows?), you should be able to swap the LRS cam for a standard 50W cam and that will give you a drag curve or profile that is less steep. I say that because I have both the 50W and 50W LRS and indeed the drag profile on the LRS is steeper than that of the standard 50W (I prefer the standard).

But - and here is the 'small print' - I haven't tried it myself to see if the cams are interchangeable. However, most parts are.

Apart from the logo on the frame, the only difference I've noticed between the LRS and standard 50W is the drag cam and the drag belleville washers themselves to give higher maximum drag.

If you keep the LRS bellevilles and just swap the cam, you may keep a higher maximum drag and a less steep profile, but you do risk losing freespool as the less steep cam will not back off as far as the LRS cam would for the same travel of the drag lever.

If you swap the bellevilles as well as the cam, you revert to a standard 50W - less steep on the drag curve but lower maximum drag too.

Finally, someone (the boss) may know better of course...