Okuma CW303D for Albacore tuna fishing

Started by retiredandfishing, November 19, 2021, 06:30:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retiredandfishing

This is not problem with the reel.  Just a general question to any other Tuna fishermen in the group.  I am re tooling my tuna fishing gear.  I have an Okuma CW 303 D that I use for bottom fishing.  I have now received another reel that I can use for bottom fishing so I'm considering buying another CW 303D to match with the one I have and use for my two most rearward rods for tuna fishing. I usually use these rods for swims baits and clones. Wondering if anyone has some thoughts on using these reels for this purpose.  I'm replacing two Penn 320GTi's I presently use as they are aging (as I am). 

Thanks, Steve

Ron Jones

You are the first person I've ever heard of to use line counters for albacore, good on you. I see no reason why these reels wouldn't work, but I LOVE the GTis. What is it about them that are getting tired? or are you just ready for a change (which is always great.)

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

retiredandfishing

The GTI's have many hours on them and even though they are still functioning well I will feel better about some new equipment.  The GTi's while robust do wear out the level wind parts from time to time as the tuna hit pretty hard.  I keep them cleaned and oiled well to make sure this doesn't happen but replaced the worm gears and pawls once. I'm relegating them to guest bottom fishing duty so I'll still be using them.

Having a line counter will give me a better and hopefully more accurate method assuring my lures are out behind the boat the same length. Some here have started using line counters and like them so thought I would try them and see.

Ron Jones

I'm guessing here is Oregon? Like I said, whatever makes you confident.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Jim Fujitani

The way that things have been going, with climate change and ocean currents warming and changing, You might be careful about what reels and rods you put out for albacore trolling.  You don't want to be trying to boat a BFT that decided to make a mess of things by biting an albacore trolling clone.

Over the years, albacore trollers in the Golden Gate area have been spooled by large albacore and other mystery fish.  A few years back, one troller had to cut in half what would have been a CA record albacore, to get the fish weighed (over 91 pounds).  Mystery fish had been suspected as BFT, like albacore, considered a "cold-water" tuna.

A few years back, the Washington state record for BFT was something like 5 pounds; now easily beaten on any given Sunday in late Summer and Fall.

Porthos

I've fished the Okuma SD-55L, CV-30L, CT-25L, CT-30L, CT-45L and CT-55N for tuna, yellowtail, and dorado between San Diego and Cedros. Knowing the guts of those reels and hindsight being 20/20, these reels would have also worked just fine on the 2021 SOA 8-day given on the quality of fish encountered.

Would I fish my Okuma MA-45DX under the same conditions? If it was my only functioning setup, then yes, BUT I'd expect an increased likelihood that something on it may fail sooner than the other reels that don't have a line counter.

Perhaps a switch to metered braid with a known length of top shot instead? It would follow the KISS principle better than any line counter given that BFT may make a showing.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

jurelometer

Don't understand the need for line counter reels.  Where the lines enter the water will tell you where clones or feathers are running, and if that is not exact  enough, a tug on the line, and the jig will pop up.  What generally matters more is where the lures are riding in relation to the wake waves, prob turbulence, and each other, none of which will be helped with by a line counter.  And if you are running a line wayyyyy back, it does not really matter if it is at 143 or 152 feet.  Curious if I am missing something.

In terms of bigger reels for trolling,  if all you are not catching much on the stops, so all of your action is coming on the troll, I could see running smaller reels to up the fun factor.  It will make it harder to bring  the school near the boat for iron or live bait tossing, or land the odd BFT. 

-J