DIY bucktail wrapping

Started by JasonGotaProblem, November 19, 2021, 06:51:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

If it's a jig instead of a fly, then you need some heft to it.  Lash a tungsten bullet or flipping weight under the hook (with the bend pointing up).  Anchor it to the shoulder or eye to keep it from sliding backwards.  The low center of gravity will keep the bend pointing up so it will not spin or lay on its side.  This minimizes snags when working the bottom.

JasonGotaProblem

Unlike my hooks, I am not one to go down without a fight.

More lead, taking advantage of the bend of the worm hook such that this weight should be below the midline of the moving hook, and put the fluff on the point side. Unlike previous models I was quite liberal with the epoxy this time. I was thinking about what Roman said in a separate thread about epoxy being roughly the density of water. So this would add casting weight but not cause extra sinking... Right? The end result is less pretty though. But if the fish dont care neither do I. (But if they care, maybe I should?  8) )
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

JasonGotaProblem

Ok this one swims hook point up, and all it took was listening to the advice of people who have done it before. Funny how that works out.

Nothing was biting in the 12 minutes I was casting, but its proof of concept.

oldmanjoe

Maybe dress the lead egg sinker and then add the hook .
      Split shot / line sinker fit hook in grove and tye
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

philaroman

or, you could just treat yourself & dress it how you like
(hope that's the standard 2-pack cheaper -- not, per each)
https://www.fishusa.com/Storm-360GT-Searchbait-Swimmer-Jig-Head

philaroman

seriously, how long would it take you to make something like that
w/ all the time you save, you could dress the tail hook on your bare@$$ed ChugBug  ;)

oc1

What's that wire loop/eye under the head for?

jurelometer

Quote from: philaroman on December 03, 2021, 11:07:15 PM

Need a solid body like a swimbait for a lipped jig head. The lip needs a body to lever against.

Plus I think that the point for this tie is a something small profile and closer to neutral buoyancy.

Quote from: oc1 on December 04, 2021, 06:43:30 AM

Hanging a trailer hook, which  is not my favorite thing to do with a swim bait.

-J

Gfish

A 2nd hook would be my choice, but maybe you could attach a spinner blade.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

philaroman

Quote from: jurelometer on December 04, 2021, 07:15:03 AM
Quote from: philaroman on December 03, 2021, 11:07:15 PM

Need a solid body like a swimbait for a lipped jig head. The lip needs a body to lever against.
Plus I think that the point for this tie is a something small profile and closer to neutral buoyancy.

Quote from: oc1 on December 04, 2021, 06:43:30 AM

Hanging a trailer hook, which  is not my favorite thing to do with a swim bait.

-J

seemed like Jason was trying for a swim-jig, rather than bouncer/dragger
I do like the pretty modern heads, esp. w/ paddle-tails
yes, just threw up  :D  the one on sale w/ most features (bling?)
I think they do come plain, down to 1/8 oz 2/0 (smaller from other brands)

alternately, in "billowy" options w/out long weighted body/"active tail",
could the bottom eye be used for a LONG trailer...  something like smaller Clouser on 4-6" leader?
might even be enough resistance to make lipped version functional

JasonGotaProblem

Back at it again.

I'm playing with a bit shorter tails and going for extra fluffy. The one with the bit of green has white 80# braid as the skirt.

I'm trying to play with using the stiffer hair to create sort of a weed guard that hopefully wouldnt block a bite. Need to try them out.

And maybe it's just me, but I feel like the tiger thread looks like scales. We'll see if the fish agree. Hope so because I used the last I had.

Gonna see if I can try some out tomorrow.

sabaman1

Jason those look awesome. Over here in southern California those would make great jigs for fishing structure in winter time for sculpin, sand bass and calico bass. 
JIM

thorhammer

flip yer wrap; tiger on top, white on bottom, looks like finger mullet. I have some of the flashabou in that mottle somewhere.

jtwill98

Quote from: thorhammer on November 19, 2021, 06:58:36 PMPowder paint is also very easy durable, just need a way to heat jig. toatser oven or heat gun is great.

A heat gun works(?) -- That's good to know.

thorhammer

Yep- I hold jighead with vice grips, heat and dip. After it cools, I will heat again on low to smooth it out. Not the fastest, but I'm only making a dozen or so at the time for myself. A DIY fluid bed is on the long list of crap I'm meaning to build, but I'm dipping directly in the jar, and it does pretty well.

John