Preserving That Golden Shine

Started by nelz, November 20, 2021, 04:44:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelz

I have some small Krocodile spoons in plain golden finish that have gotten pretty tarnished. I polished the shine back into one and have used it a couple of times in fresh water only, but the tarnish has started to return.

* Anybody have a good hack for preserving that golden shine? *

These spoons are amazingly effective when I fish fresh water, but it's a pain having to Dremel the finish so often.

oc1

Nelz, maybe it is brass plating.  You would need a clear finish of some sort.

Wompus Cat

Rub Vaseline on em and the hooks then wrap em in a Glad bag or Saran Wrap. You can keep them in a small container or something .It will be messy yep but all you gotta do is wipe em down which will make them shine even more each time you use them .The hooks won't rust or corrode too and or mix some cod liver oil in with it for a nice fishy smell for an attractant.
Spray silicone ,W-D 40 is good also plus it has fish oil in it .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

JasonGotaProblem

Protectaclear coating.

I keep seeing those brass spoons around. They really work? I may have to try.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

philaroman

don't use 'em often... 
gave up on effective & EASY "stored shine" -- just shine 'em up, streamside
trial/travel-size toothpaste is a great, cheap, mild polish

nelz

Quote from: oc1 on November 20, 2021, 08:52:27 AMNelz, maybe it is brass plating.  You would need a clear finish of some sort.

Looks like they are solid brass. Perhaps there was some coating on them originally, but if so, I've polished it off by now.

nelz

Thanks Wompus, I think I'll try the WD40, the vaseline thing's too much for me, lol.  ::)

Jason, yes, it's been a killer lure for me, and you can work it so many ways.

philaroman

seriously, toothpaste+rag is quick+easy streamside trick for brass, copper, etc.
only a bit more elbow grease for steel

nelz

Quote from: philaroman on November 20, 2021, 06:15:18 PMseriously, toothpaste+rag is quick+easy streamside trick for brass, copper, etc. only a bit more elbow grease for steel

We have a winner! I tried some toothpaste when I got home, just used my thumb, it worked great. Now we'll just have to see how the fish are gonna like this minty-fresh spoon!  ;D

Wompus Cat

Quote from: nelz on November 20, 2021, 08:34:29 PM
Quote from: philaroman on November 20, 2021, 06:15:18 PMseriously, toothpaste+rag is quick+easy streamside trick for brass, copper, etc. only a bit more elbow grease for steel

We have a winner! I tried some toothpaste when I got home, just used my thumb, it worked great. Now we'll just have to see how the fish are gonna like this minty-fresh spoon!  ;D
red and white

Well Tooth Paste will clean it but I was under the impression you wanted to preserve the Shine after use .
They make solid Brass ,Brass plated,Nickel,Nickel Plate,Stainless ,Aluminum ,Chromed Spoons and as long as you are using Solid metals Toothpaste will keep shining em up as well as comet cleanser, Baking soda ,Ketchup,Vinegar and a sundry of other things however if just plated you will eventually wear right through the coating then you can paint them   

Never caught a Fish with bad breath as far as I can tell so Toothpaste may be used more than I realized.
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

nelz

Quote from: Wompus Cat on November 20, 2021, 09:19:19 PMWell Tooth Paste will clean it but I was under the impression you wanted to preserve the Shine after use.

You are correct sir, but a quick rub with toothpaste is an acceptable solution also.

philaroman

Quote from: Wompus Cat on November 20, 2021, 09:19:19 PM

Well Tooth Paste will clean it but I was under the impression you wanted to preserve the Shine after use .
They make solid Brass ,Brass plated,Nickel,Nickel Plate,Stainless ,Aluminum ,Chromed Spoons and as long as you are using Solid metals Toothpaste will keep shining em up as well as comet cleanser, Baking soda ,Ketchup,Vinegar and a sundry of other things however if just plated you will eventually wear right through the coating then you can paint them  

that's the whole point of toothpaste -- mildest, safest abbrasive cleanser, found anywhere/cheap
not too abrasive like Comet; not too acidic/alkaline like vinegar/soda;
OK for occasional quick rub of chromed/plated stuff
perfect for lazy slob like me who doesn't use spoons often:
no preserving shine -- just quickly resore/touch-up the spoon(s), before actual use
without worry about what's solid or plated

nelz

Found another old and heavily tarnished golden Kroc spoon in a pile of old lures. Polished it up, replaced the hook, and coated with WD40. Let's see how the finish holds up.

It'll be great to have a backup for when the inevitable happens in the field, like being surprised by a big snook grabbing it and fraying through the leader.  :o