Spiral wrap on a BFS rod?

Started by JasonGotaProblem, February 20, 2022, 03:28:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

I'm building a budget friendly BFS rod. In fact I've already started. But its a 2 piece. Can you do a spiral wrap properly on a 2 piece? Does it make enough of a difference to be worth a noob figuring out how to spiral wrap it? I'm using fuji L series size 5.5 guides
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Swami805

I don't think there's any benefit to spiral wrapping a light rod like that.  The spiral wrap is to lessen the side to side load when cranking on a fish. Don't see that being an issue on a BFS rod
Do what you can with that you have where you are

philaroman

IMO, would be nice for longer, faster 1-pc. -- could have softer tip than possible w/ conventional, otherwise
forget it w/ short 2-pc. -- must complete 180* on butt section; can't have ferrule in middle of spiral

jurelometer

There are a couple threads here on the advantages/disadvantages of spiral guide layouts.

One of the big disadvantages is that the path of the line from reel to tip is a spiral, which means more impact from the line against the guide frames when casting.   Spiral will decrease casting distance, especially with lighter weights.

Another disadvantage is that the transition guide sticks out sideways and the line  is running along three different planes.  This tends to lead to more tangling and snagging when stowing, or in the case of a BFS outfit, bushwhacking.  If you have  a conventional outfit with a standard guide layout, you can usually work through the brush by holding the rod horizontal , reel and guides pointing  down, leading with the rod butt. 

The advantages don't really come into play with a  very light casting outfits.  It is not too difficult to keep a 6 oz reel upright with 2 lbs of drag :)

My $0.02

-J

philaroman

should allow softer tip w/ fewer, smaller running guides & line running closer to blank
might not be best for casting, but should be better for WORKING a tiny lure
(...or, BAIT -- Jason likes to throw unweighted shrimp, as I recall  ;) )

JasonGotaProblem

I got a rod that claims it can throw 1/16th oz. I'm gonna try to try to throw basically flies and other small stuff, BFS style?
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

philaroman