Ambassadeur Ultra Mag Plus & Ultra Mag XL II service/ drag upgrade

Started by PDXTightlines, November 22, 2021, 11:56:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDXTightlines

Looking for a solution here hopefully. I serviced and upgraded the drags on one UMP and a couple of the XL II's this last weekend & everything seemed to go fine. I took pics along the way and got the right side disassembled enough to clean and lube all the gears & washers and replace the original drag washers with Carbon ones. Everything seemed to go back together fine, & the only difference I could tell is the inside diameter of the large carbon drag washer is a bit larger than the original, but fit perfectly inside the gear.

They all seem to work correctly except when pulling line against the drag, when they all make a small tick twice at just more than one revolution. So there is a tick and the next would tick would be at about 185 or 190 degrees of rotation & it is consistent that way.

Any ideas on what I might have gotten wrong all three times on the reassembly?

Thanks in advance, Dave

PDXTightlines

OK, so I figured out where the tick is coming from. There is a bell washer that goes on the after installing the big drag washer inside the main gear. The main gear has a wide, what appears to be brass "circle spring" (for lack of a better description) that is not quite 1/8" wide that circles the inside of the bed of the gear and is mostly flat, but flares up about the last 10 or 15 degrees to a height of about 1/8" or so. The bell washer has 8 holes around it at the same point as where that spring rises up. Every time the spring hits one of the holes there is a small tick sound. I'm thinking the original drag washer was wide enough to be partially on top of the spring, but I'm not sure about that & didn't save them to be able to check.

Any solutions?

oc1

Could that be something intentional so you can hear when drag is being pulled?

Wompus Cat

If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

foakes

It is an audible drag clicker, Dave —

Purpose is to give the angler one more sense to be able to report audibly how fast the fish is taking out the drag — and allow the angler to adjust the drag quicker and more effectively during the fight.

Lots of fishermen like this feature.

It is normal.

Best,
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Wompus Cat

PDXTightlines

Thanks all, I did not remember hearing that sound before when I caught salmon on one of those reels this past fall, but I was on a jet ski so that might be the reason!

Wompus Cat

Quote from: PDXTightlines on November 23, 2021, 01:59:38 PM
Thanks all, I did not remember hearing that sound before when I caught salmon on one of those reels this past fall, but I was on a jet ski so that might be the reason!

You must get excited and go numb in your hands when you hang a big fish as I Palm most all my reels and can feel those little detents when reeling one in and the Drag gets pulled .... ;D

Gfish

Yeah. Pretty common on older Abu's, alla way back to the ubiquitous 5000 series and maybe beyond? Could the assembly have been off before you serviced it?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

PDXTightlines

Quote from: Wompus Cat on November 23, 2021, 02:14:24 PM
Quote from: PDXTightlines on November 23, 2021, 01:59:38 PM

You must get excited and go numb in your hands when you hang a big fish as I Palm most all my reels and can feel those little detents when reeling one in and the Drag gets pulled .... ;D

LOL, with a salmon I'm hangin' on to the for grip with my left hand, not sure I could palm the reel with one of those pulling on the other end of the line!