Main Menu

Lure restoration

Started by JasonGotaProblem, November 23, 2021, 03:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philaroman

never tried, but thought about:
1) as treble replacements -- inline jig hooks w/ minimal shank bend (<30*)
2) body patterns actually painted like an injured bait ON ITS SIDE
    i.e., when plug is floating at rest, dark back & light belly on opposite sides, HORIZONTALLY!

oc1

That's outside the box for sure Phil.  But, if it is going to be repainted anyway then why not repaint with left side dark and right side white,  instead of making it list to the side with bent hooks.

JasonGotaProblem

Steve that's exactly what I was thinking. In fact I'm gonna try it next lure that washes up.

Here's what i ended up with. I know they're owner hooks i don't remember the size.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

JasonGotaProblem

So you know its a party when a lure makes you realize you need more braid on your spool. Never seen that before. 90 yds

oldmanjoe

::)    I think you have experienced coil bind there , slowed up the flight ......... 
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

philaroman

you're gonna' need a bigger spool  :o  at least, 1600 old-Daiwa / 2500 new-Shimano...  pref., BIGGER
when those things work, it's often right at the end of the cast, after the first few chug-chug-rest...  & they get SLAMMED!!!

EDIT
this looks more size-appropriate (or, maybe GS equivalent):
https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=30068.0;topicseen
you're already expert at shaving the stupid auto-bail bumper   ;)

JasonGotaProblem

The first cast stopped midair at the arbor knot. It holds a good 30 yds more, I just sacrificed a lot when I saw a fuzzy spot after a dock rub. On 10# braid that's a lost fish. I already have a spool of nomad x8 to put on. I'll do it today, now that I know the stakes. Gotta give them a bit of space to get tired.

jurelometer

Here are the hooks you need.  Body hook points down,tail hook points up. 

I have used hooks like those in your photo in a pinch, but add an extra ring, so that they don't point sideways and unbalance the plug.

-J

Swami805

Here's a luck craft I took the trebles off.  I used two owner in-line hooks that weighed the same as the three trebles. Gets bit fine and so much easier to deal with
Do what you can with that you have where you are

oc1

philaroman

here's something size 2-14 that looks interesting for smaller/lighter stuff
(many, MANY more oftions for barbless)

https://ahrexhooks.com/resources/product-spec-sheets/freshwater/fw550551-mini-jig/