Day after treats.

Started by gstours, November 27, 2021, 04:05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Here's another senior activity for the turkey leftovers.
   Even though smoked turkey is great for a meal in itself sometimes it ga veto by the war department.
So a compromise was in order,  smoked the drumsticks and the chunks of dark meat seems like something pretty easy,  right?
   No brine just a dry rub sprinkle.   For both.....
Smoked eggs?   These are a new dimension in cold snacks,    Just a medium hard boiled egg peeled and put on a skewer for handling.    Spray olive oil on the sprinkle seasoning and smoke for a couple hours.
The turkey parts need spraying with a white wine  apple juice or beer to keep them moist Occasionally and a water pan is suggested above the smoker pan or rack.
   This is super easy and makes a great snack if you're interested some patio time.🤦‍♀️👍

Bill B

I'm liking the smoked eggs.....pickled eggs are a favorite around my house.....hmmmm, smoked pickled eggs 🤔. Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

gstours

Thanks Bill, after one holiday to almost another my cheep post might have scared most of the home cooking to the varionunce take out line?   Good to hear from you.
   I've made some more smoked eggs recently,  and used alder wood,  kept temp to about a hundred degrees for a couple hours,   And some tillimook sharp cheddar shown below.     Pretty good.
    With the holidays upcoming,   It's time to be creative.   Happy holidays.

Dominick

Way to go.  Italian sausage and smoked eggs, good going paisano, Sellardo.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Gobi King

looks yummy, never had smoked eggs
first hard boil em and then smoke em?

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

gstours

Yes,  just boil enough to make easy peeling,  at soon as they are done, cool with cold water quickly,  and crack each one some as soon as they can be handled,  put each on back in cold water for a few minutes.    These will be much easier to peel.    Try it. ;)
     As the egg will dry more in the smoker for its term, a couple of hours,   100-150f , it will firm up more,   I use skewers to prevent rolling around and gets the smoked color all around for a nice appearance.
   These are amazingly easy and keep well in a zip lock bad refrigerator shelf.    These make heavenly deviled eggs for your guests.   A splash of Tabasco on the top is for the more adventurous. :D
   Happy holidays to everybody.🎣

Ron Jones

I am doing that this week!

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

thorhammer

gstours

😮 😯 wow,  I was hesitant to post something like this after so many better projects here......
   If's you're going to fire up the smoker and watch/wait,  you might also do some more good as you might have room.   🧂 Salt,   And Black pepper can be laid in a tinfoil sheet with the edges rolled up. 
Salt likes. A spray of water before smoking and during but sparingly,  salt absorbs water and smoke loves both.   
  As for black pepper, i use ground,  smoked dry is ok,  or spraying water some,   Just remember heat with evap it all.    If small clumps occur easy to break with a fork.     Put the salt and pepper on the upper most racks if possible.   These can use extra heat.    And no contamination drips for shaker storage.
   These are just a couple of easy things to make at no extra cost.    Next post might be about smoked cream cheese,    Another great thing to do if's you like crackers,  and crusty bread.🎣

Shark Hunter

Looks tasty my man!
I love eggs.
Life is Good!

Gobi King

Quote from: gstours on December 21, 2021, 05:52:10 PM
Yes,  just boil enough to make easy peeling,  at soon as they are done, cool with cold water quickly,  and crack each one some as soon as they can be handled,  put each on back in cold water for a few minutes.    These will be much easier to peel.    Try it. ;)
     As the egg will dry more in the smoker for its term, a couple of hours,   100-150f , it will firm up more,   I use skewers to prevent rolling around and gets the smoked color all around for a nice appearance.
   These are amazingly easy and keep well in a zip lock bad refrigerator shelf.    These make heavenly deviled eggs for your guests.   A splash of Tabasco on the top is for the more adventurous. :D
   Happy holidays to everybody.🎣

Gary,
Thanks for the details steps, I will try it tomorrow, I am going to slice em up and make me some sandwiches.

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

DON3099

This will be part of my Xmas diner again this year. I like using apple wood.

gstours

This bird looks delicious and I can smell the flavors from here!
   Good job,   Maybe collect some drippings in-the pan, next morning make some gravy for those fresh hot biscuits?   You worked hard,  you deserve a treat.🤷‍♂️     🎣.       Merry Christmas 🎄