CARP PLAY

Started by Cor, November 28, 2021, 06:50:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobi King

I have tried carp many times in Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore. They taste fine. Not sure why we are averse to carp in Michigan, but most of the fish balls made for kosher meals are made with farmed carp in KY I believe. Fish, tastes like fish I tell you, I guess we gots do a blind tasting challenge  :-X
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Riy2018

best for gefilte fish

Mjg378

I've heard if carp are from clean water they taste fine. 
the fish I caught back then came from muddy /dirty waters.  Fortunately for me they seemed to thrive in those lakes I had access to.
Mike

happyhooker

If you fish exclusively freshwater, as I do, common carp are among the biggest fish you will run across.  Yeah, you can go for muskie or sturgeon, but that is specialized angling in very specific waters.  Carp, big catfish and buffalo will be the biggest fish that are more widespread.  Carp and buffalo are very powerful fish, excellent fighters and fun to catch.  I'm mostly catch-and-release, so the eating part is outside my experience; however, I know of commercial fisherman/netters who make a lot of $$ selling carp and buffalo on the East Coast.  In Europe, and especially Britain, carp are near the top in targets for angling.  Carp take the rap as invasive species, but buffalo are native.  I understand bow fishing for carp, but I doubt if many, if any, anglers can tell the difference between a carp and a buffalo when they are shooting, and I hate to see buffalo shot just for the fun of it.  Bait fishing on or near the bottom works for carp, buffalo and cats, and the good 'ole angleworm will catch all of 'em.  Doughballs too; I keep mine simple with bran flakes, a little flour and a drop of anise. And, yes, you can catch all of them on jigs too, especially maribous or something you run near the bottom that looks like a big insect or crawfish.

I don't often have a fish break off the line, but a couple summers ago, I had a buffalo take off down river and I could not even slow it down before the line broke. Buffs and carp are also masters at wrapping your line around branches and snags.

Frank

steelfish

I've never heard about Buffalo fish before.

they seem like a nice trophy fish in FW
The Baja Guy