True Temper 7' Model 1754 Question

Started by Wayne B., November 28, 2021, 10:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wayne B.

I found the 1754 at a garage sale and bought it for $1. It is an extremely whippy rod, almost like a flyrod. It just yells at me "Crappie Rod". The label on the rod says 1/8 - 3/8 oz It is missing the tip guide. The tip of the rod is not broken off. The top part of the guide is broken off but the the metal part of the guide is still on the rod tip. A decal on the rod says "Genuine Tungsten Carbide Tip Top". Anyone can help me with this?

oc1

True Temper was the successor of historic Montague rods, by way of Ocean City. I think they started out makeing tubular steel rods in the 1950's and transitioned into fiberglass. I don't think they ever made the transition to graphite when they got out of fshing tackle in the 1980's.  The "Genuine Carbide Tip" was a late 1960's thing.  The carbide tips were very brittle and easy to break, but could stand up to monofilament without grooving like the chromed steel guides did.  Like Montague, they are sort of mid-grade rods for mass marketing.  You can't go wrong for a buck, but the typical price today is not much over ten bucks.  I always think of True Temper as shovel and hoe manufacturers and could never get excited about their fishng tackle.  Maybe it was the Paul Harvey commercials. But, True Temper did keep the Ocean City reel series alive and intact for a while.

oldmanjoe

???    Do you need help with the tip top ?       How to measure and were to get one  ?
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Wayne B.

Yes I do. The remains of the exiting tip guide measures 3mm, so I would assume the rod tip is 2.5 mm. I would like to find a chrome on to match the other guides.

DON3099

I think the 1st thing I'd do is see how the tube put on, glue or epoxy. Get the tube off and measure it with a caliper, and you have your size.

Wayne B.

I heated it up and removed the tube. It is 2.5 mm.

DON3099

oldmanjoe

2.5mm =.098
  tips tubes are measured in 64 of of a inch .
6 tube= .093
  7 tube= .109

Janns has a 6 1/2 also.
  https://www.jannsnetcraft.com/pacificbay-rod-tip-tops/280558.aspx
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Wayne B.

I went to Mudhole and went through a learning process. I think I found the right tip guide but I bought two sizes just in case.

Thanks for the direction Don3099!

oldmanjoe, thanks for your info as well!

oldmanjoe

What tip did they recommend ?