alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Chinese Big Game spinner review by Alan Hawk
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
December 04, 2020, 09:19:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chinese Big Game spinner review by Alan Hawk  (Read 6605 times)
paal

« on: January 25, 2012, 10:59:39 AM »

This guy makes some really interesting reviews. Here's a brand new one, of a Ryobi spinner that is designed for the big ones such as marlin and tuna. Seems that mr Hawk doesn't quite agree with that....
http://jignpopforum.com/topic/386-review-ryobi-carnelian-kewl-forge-grauvell-kona-molokai-tubertini-ap-power/
Jimmer
Firearms Group

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 12:15:11 PM »

Thanks for posting that link Paal - Good read - Jimmer

What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann
Tile

Romania

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 02:37:26 PM »

This reel's main faults are the main gear and the antireverse cage and springs. If these issues are corrected it would be an excellent reel for wels catfish. Fishing for marlin and/or tuna with spinning reels is absolutely asking for trouble because the spinners cannot take the forces involved with this type of fishing. Only solid framed conventional reels (50 lbs class and above) are best suited for marlin and/or tuna.

In solid fiberglass we trust
Irish Jigger

Northern Ireland.

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 02:50:33 PM »

Brilliant review as usual by Alan Hawk.
"Designed and Engineered in Japan", typical Chinese misinformation used as a marketing ploy.
The real McCoy is marked "Product of Japan"
whalebreath

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 10:40:28 PM »

truly lowers the bar to new depths.....I am declaring this reel the single worst reel I have ever tested in my life
Ouch!!
aus bass
Reel affliction is a real disease.

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 02:53:04 AM »

Thanks for the link. Interesting read. Note to Royobi, stick to power tools.

The greatest lie a reel repairer ever told was "yes dear this is a customers reel".
Alto Mare
Sensei

Southeastern Pennsylvania

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 03:41:44 AM »

I use power tools daily .... I'm not crazy about them. I do have to say though that some of their earlier models reels were nicely made, I had a couple of Adventure reels. Lots of stainless steel on those reels.

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.
Killerbug

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 07:32:31 AM »

Great review,  who dares win!

http://forum.esoxhunt.dk
-----------------------------
They say Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf.
You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time
paal

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 08:34:10 AM »

I'm only speculating here, but I think this is what could happen when a company loose the genuine interest in their own products, and it's all reduced to just business. And the people working on the assembly line will never actually use the products themselves, and don't really care about the quality...

I want to buy my gear from a company where the people are genuinely interested in sport fishing, and fishing gear. Where the guys on the assembly line, up to the CEO, goes fishing regularly. With their own gear, preferrably Cheesy
redsetta

Auckland, New Zealand

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 01:26:21 PM »

x2 Sal. I have a (roughly) 30-year-old Ryobi spinner that's well engineered and has stood the test of time. Appears they've lost the plot now however.
Cheers, Justin

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer
erikpowell
Firearms Group

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 08:37:10 PM »

I use power tools daily .... I'm not crazy about them. I do have to say though that some of their earlier models reels were nicely made, I had a couple of Adventure reels. Lots of stainless steel on those reels.
x2 !  Likewise, funny looking things, but pretty bomber reels, those Adventures.. Its like fishing with a power tool!  Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: