Chinese Big Game spinner review by Alan Hawk

Started by paal, January 25, 2012, 06:59:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paal

This guy makes some really interesting reviews. Here's a brand new one, of a Ryobi spinner that is designed for the big ones such as marlin and tuna. Seems that mr Hawk doesn't quite agree with that....
http://jignpopforum.com/topic/386-review-ryobi-carnelian-kewl-forge-grauvell-kona-molokai-tubertini-ap-power/

Jimmer

Thanks for posting that link Paal - Good read - Jimmer
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

Tile

This reel's main faults are the main gear and the antireverse cage and springs. If these issues are corrected it would be an excellent reel for wels catfish. Fishing for marlin and/or tuna with spinning reels is absolutely asking for trouble because the spinners cannot take the forces involved with this type of fishing. Only solid framed conventional reels (50 lbs class and above) are best suited for marlin and/or tuna.
In solid fiberglass we trust

Irish Jigger

Brilliant review as usual by Alan Hawk.
"Designed and Engineered in Japan", typical Chinese misinformation used as a marketing ploy.
The real McCoy is marked "Product of Japan"

whalebreath

Quotetruly lowers the bar to new depths.....I am declaring this reel the single worst reel I have ever tested in my life
Ouch!!

aus bass

Thanks for the link. Interesting read. Note to Royobi, stick to power tools.
The greatest lie a reel repairer ever told was "yes dear this is a customers reel".

Alto Mare

Quote from: aus bass on January 26, 2012, 10:53:04 AM
I use power tools daily .... I'm not crazy about them. I do have to say though that some of their earlier models reels were nicely made, I had a couple of Adventure reels. Lots of stainless steel on those reels.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Killerbug

http://forum.esoxhunt.dk
-----------------------------
They say Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf.
You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time

paal

I'm only speculating here, but I think this is what could happen when a company loose the genuine interest in their own products, and it's all reduced to just business. And the people working on the assembly line will never actually use the products themselves, and don't really care about the quality...

I want to buy my gear from a company where the people are genuinely interested in sport fishing, and fishing gear. Where the guys on the assembly line, up to the CEO, goes fishing regularly. With their own gear, preferrably :D

redsetta

x2 Sal. I have a (roughly) 30-year-old Ryobi spinner that's well engineered and has stood the test of time. Appears they've lost the plot now however.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

erikpowell

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 26, 2012, 11:41:44 AM
Quote from: aus bass on January 26, 2012, 10:53:04 AM
I use power tools daily .... I'm not crazy about them. I do have to say though that some of their earlier models reels were nicely made, I had a couple of Adventure reels. Lots of stainless steel on those reels.
x2 !  Likewise, funny looking things, but pretty bomber reels, those Adventures.. Its like fishing with a power tool!  ;D