Senator Models/Manufacture dates

Started by jgp12000, December 03, 2021, 10:09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgp12000

I know it's probably already posted here somewhere. I was just curious what are the different sizes and manufacture dates of Senators?

RowdyW

Best bet would be to get the book of Penn Reels. available on ebay & other sources.      Rudy

Gfish

Rudy! Was wonderin where you was...Hope your health is improving.
JPG, you can also get some generalized info from the Mystic Penn Parts site. Prolly not much in the way of little changes, but more like production/discontinued dates. It'ed be in the "more information" section.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

foakes

We are fortunate here — to have Michael Cacioppo, as one of our members —

Mike wrote a few books on Penn reels — all of which are considered the Bible or Blue Book on Penn reels.

The Chronological History of the vintage Penns from '32 to '57 is professionally done, lots of photos, and tons of information — the Price Guide Companion is also equally well done.

These are not expensive — and for a Penn-Head...an invaluable resource.

There are many, many variations of Senators — old style, new style, high speeds, Chinese manufactured on some models in recent years, etc.

The basic (10) sizes of the Senators are:

1/0 - 2/0 - 3/0 - 4/0 - 6/0 - 9/0 - 10/0 -12/0 - 14/0 - 16\0.

Of these, the harder finds would be the 1,2, 10, & 16 — since they were discontinued.

Here is a complete set on display in a hallway bookcase outside my upstairs shop.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

jgp12000

That's good info guys ! My buddie just got a new boat in Destin,Fla. and may need some new combos. In Destin you don't have to go out too far for red snapper or black bass(3-5 miles). He mostly bottom fishes, Rudy suggested a 113H on an earlier post I made, where does the 113H fall in the size line up ?  I was happy with my little peerless 9 and 109,ya'll are making me want one just to look at, nothing in my 2 acre pond warrants having a reel that large. It's more of a want than a need, does it ever end.... GO DAWGS!!!!              

foakes

Thought it was posted —

ALL of these reels were made possible with the help of members —

Jonathan, Dominick, Sal, Randy, Ted, Daron, Alex, and others.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

jgp12000

Fred,
the 1st time I looked the pics weren't there, then they were, on my end I suppose? Your collection is impressive as always!

foakes

Quote from: jgp12000 on December 04, 2021, 08:53:23 PM
Fred,
the 1st time I looked the pics weren't there, then they were, on my end I suppose? Your collection is impressive as always!

Good...over the past (2) years — I have gotten rid of most of my conventional Penn reels & (15) crates of parts.

Plus a lot of other stuff went bye-bye also.

Just saved these, and maybe (3) other crates of complete Penns.

And a few cosmetic parts like rings and posts, and some cranks — just to keep some of my old-time clients going.

Got a fair amount of new rings.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

PacRat

Since your buddy is fishing out of Destin, don't overlook the older 113. It will usually be cheaper than the 113H (high speed) because it has smaller gears and drag plus it has bushings rather than bearings. I believe these will really shine in the Gulf since you guys won't need to cast and the lower gears are very useful. Do a search here for 'grouper+special'. Here's one: https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9979.0

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=5320.0

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9874.0

I dropped in a couple more links just to give you some ideas. I've only fished the Gulf once but I think any of these builds would be well suited for those waters. Out west we like the 113H for casting and Jigging where we need the distance and retrieve speed but dropping bait to the bottom in the (relatively shallow) Gulf the  older (cheaper) Senators will shine with just a couple of upgrades...Bryan's drag and then gear sleeves and then frames, narrowing and double-dogs if you feel you need them.

jgp12000

Good info Mike ! An EBAY search appears the 113H is a 4/0 ? I read a post once somewhere the x/0 sizes are correlated to line size 4/0 for 40lb ?

Swami805

Not much correlation between the model number and line size, I wouldn't use that as a guide, maybe in pre monofilament days. Made some sense with the old Internationals but not with the senators
Do what you can with that you have where you are

1badf350

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

jgp12000

Call it sentimental or goofy when I look at Fred's display I always wonder, if those reels could talk? All reels have a history or story of some sort. Who was the first owner or was the reel a gift. Where and when was it purchased? Was it passed down from father to son to grandson. How many and what species did it catch, or did it ever see the water. Was it lost and found by another fisherman that just happened to retrieve from the ocean's floor? Does anyone else ever ponder such as myself.

jgp12000

Wompus Cat

Quote from: jgp12000 on December 06, 2021, 10:50:33 AM
Call it sentimental or goofy when I look at Fred's display I always wonder, if those reels could talk? All reels have a history or story of some sort. Who was the first owner or was the reel a gift. Where and when was it purchased? Was it past down from father to son to grandson. How many and what species did it catch, or did it ever see the water. Was it lost and found by another fisherman that just happened to retrieve from the ocean's floor? Does anyone else ever ponder such as myself.

I have often pondered that very thought and many of my collection show Battle Scars or Bottle Scars ?
and obviously were used to fish (maybe not Catch ) many a day. And some look as though they never got wet.
But all have some History for sure and every once in a while I get one from the Family member  that knew the history and didn't want to keep it or them .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him