How to replace skirts, Iland Sea Star Lures

Started by otghoyt, December 05, 2021, 12:28:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

otghoyt

Contrary to Ilander's rants about bitten-off skirts being a thing of the past.  NOT!  This lure has been hit explosively hard by Wahoo.  It has a blown-out glass eye and missing half the length of the skirt. 

How do you get the heads apart to replace the skirts?   Any help would be appreciated before I light-up the torch.

gstours

There's lots of people here that might have had the same problem,   Pictures would help,  what is your problem, and what I s your ideas?   Just waiting to help. 
   We,re all going down together.   🎣.     

oc1

Hoyt, you can probably cut/carve it off.  There's nothing there except plastic and resin.  I imagine you woudl replace it like tying a bucktail jig from scratch.

otghoyt

Here's a couple pics of the little "SEA STAR" bubble pushers.  These are pretty popular for Wahoo down on the Pacific side of Baja Sur.

There are 3 layers of plastic that sandwich the hair.  There is a hex head socket on the bottom, but it is locked down, assuming the hex head socket has threads.  I just do not know.  This is a popular lure.  Does anybody know this process?

whalebreath

I'd phone Mirrolure & ask them.

1 727-584-7691

otghoyt

From the horse's mouth, what a concept.  I will do this.  Thank you.

I didn't even know the parent company.  Doesn't that go all the way back to Lures-Jenson out of Washington? 

Wompus Cat

Quote from: wothoyt on December 05, 2021, 09:23:51 PM
Here's a couple pics of the little "SEA STAR" bubble pushers.  These are pretty popular for Wahoo down on the Pacific side of Baja Sur.

There are 3 layers of plastic that sandwich the hair.  There is a hex head socket on the bottom, but it is locked down, assuming the hex head socket has threads.  I just do not know.  This is a popular lure.  Does anybody know this process?

I would bet the Hex thing screws into the collar thus Crimping the whole Enchilada together AND contacting the company they may give up the secrets and might even have replacement Hair .HOWEVER should they not want to give up their proprietary assembly secrets I would use it till the fish quit hitting it then tear it apart and see .
My problem usually and my Mechanic curiosity would have already uncovered those secrets ;D
Don't always go well but at least I know why  ::)
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

otghoyt

Here goes nothin......  I'm just winging it.  I shaved off the hair and it's soaking in some break free.  I did find out the eyes hold a chrome shell over the plastic parts.  I'll do some more pics when it is apart and ready to go back together.