Penn fierce II handle stuck on main gear

Started by steelfish, December 07, 2021, 01:03:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

well as tittle says, I have a Penn Fierce II reel on which I cannot take the handle out from the main gear, its stuck there pretty strong.
I tried heat and cool but no avail, I tried already holding the main gear with a locking pliers and tried to turn the handle backwards to unscrew it but also no avail, so Im stuck there  ;D ;D

any one have an idea on how to take the handle out from it?

The Baja Guy

oc1

The Fierce is not Penns best effort,  If they smell saltwater they immediately freeze up.  The one I had could never work two trips in a row without an overhaul.

I don't know my friend, but there must be aluminum corrosion inside the bulb on the handle.  You could throw the whole thing into transmission oil and acetone.  Isn't that the recipe?  Then let it soak until Penn apologizes.

steelfish

The Baja Guy

Wompus Cat

First make sure which direction  the handle unscrews and or if there is a Screw inside the Gear (I have seen it ) Don't have a Reel like yours nor Torn one down but covering basics here .

Looks as though you Might  knock out the pin in the handle and remove the whole shebang.
Then I would use an old Boat Motor Trick I have used for a long time .
Get some of the old Brake /fluid like Dot 1 or 2 and soak the assy. in it a day or so .
New fluids WON'T Work sorry . It is difficult to find but you MIGHT find it at an older parts store .
Do NOT get it on  ANY painted surface you don't want to strip off ....IF you do;  have some water to wash it off as  good old water neutralizes it . Newer fluids are synthetic and don't have the chemical reaction with metals as the old stuff .
Good Luck to ya !
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

RowdyW

If that type reel has the handle mounted on the left side & is not switchable it's probably lefty tighty, righty loosey.        Rudy

steelfish

Quote from: Wompus Cat on December 08, 2021, 12:48:34 PM

Do NOT get it on  ANY painted surface you don't want to strip off ...

checking how both parts are stuck I dont an option to soak them for a day without touching or soaking the painted side of the sideplate attached to the handle.  :-\ :-\
The Baja Guy

Wompus Cat

Quote from: steelfish on December 08, 2021, 08:03:02 PM
Quote from: Wompus Cat on December 08, 2021, 12:48:34 PM

Do NOT get it on  ANY painted surface you don't want to strip off ...

checking how both parts are stuck I dont an option to soak them for a day without touching or soaking the painted side of the sideplate attached to the handle.  :-\ :-\

So you can not knock out the pin and remove the arm like I suggested ?
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

philaroman

position it w/ other side of gear pointing up, so you can leave a pool in there
penetrating oil, 1st...  if no go, then try paint-killing solvent (should drain through, w/out touching paint)
would be nice if you could screw in 2nd handle on other side

oc1

.... or grab the shaft with rubber-jaw vice grips so all the pressure is not on the AR.

JasonGotaProblem

I think I've come to the conclusion that every modern penn spinner south of a SSVI is garbage, and the SSVI is itself debatable. That's unfortunate.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

steelfish

Quote from: Wompus Cat on December 08, 2021, 08:09:02 PM

So you can not knock out the pin and remove the arm like I suggested ?

Havent tried yet, will do tonight and let you know, I didnt knew that part was removable
The Baja Guy

handi2

I'm sure you tried when the reel was assembled...
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

steelfish

Quote from: handi2 on December 10, 2021, 05:23:35 PM
I'm sure you tried when the reel was assembled...

you can bet that Keith, I tried to the point something was about to give so, either was the gear teeth or the handle arm
The Baja Guy