daiwa saltiga 6500 exp service

Started by trishul, January 26, 2012, 03:36:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trishul

fellow members, since i have joined this forum and learnt a great deal from all your input i thought i might as well contribute something, by no means am i a pro but i try and look after my equipment to the best of my abilitys and learning from posts of others here, please let me know if i have made any mistakes,,, below you will find my exp totally stripped down lubed and put back together also i choose this model as i dint see it here. hope you enjoy and hope this may help others with a similar reel.

ab0ve is my reel fully taken apart, its always a g00d idea t0 arrange rem0ved parts in a way s0 y0u d0nt f0rget h0w they g0 back in and its als0 nice t0 wipe clean the w0rk dest as dirt can get in the parts

above is the bearing that sits in the spool i open the retainer ring with a needle i stole from my maid, be paitent in removing this retainer and you will see its not impossible also any damage will be avoided, remove these on both sides then take off the shields with care using a sharp pin.

here i have packed the bearing with cals drag grease reas0n i ch00se this was as the ctex sits ab0ve this bearing and when a fish strikes and runs grease can spill 0ut the bearing s0 with cals drag grease there will be n0 c0ntaminati0n 0f the drag stack

return the shield same side as y0u f0und it then slide back the retainer as sh0wn in the pic d0nt f0rget t0 d0 it t0 b0th sides

next return the bearing back in the sp00l

this is h0w the bearing sh0uld sit in the sp00l.

next take y0ur ctex washer and lightly massage the cals drag grease 0n it pls n0te that f0r saltiga z5000-6500exp in the start there is 0ne ctex washer at the base but in the s extreme 6500 there are tw0 ctex washers at the base.

next put the washer in sp00l and wipe 0f the excess grease with a clean cl0th 0r new tshirt after this put y0ur key washer, c0ntinue this in the same manner and 0rder as y0u 0riginally f0und the washers l00k at my first pic f0r a refrence if needed

this is h0w it will l00k when y0ur d0ne.

next take y0ur drag kn0b click plate and install it i ch00se t0 lightly grease it with drag grease but this may n0t be needed.

n0w install y0ur drag washer retainer and pls make sure it sits in its gr00ves in the sp00l

this is h0w it sh0uld l00k when d0ne

n0w turn y0ur sp00l 0ver and add a dr0p 0f c0rr0si0n x 0n that funny metal thing (have n0 idea what its called)

n0w take y0ur drag kn0b (f0r this reel i have the radiati0n drag kn0b since i like the l00ks) and put a little cals drag grease in the h0le as seen in the pic again i used cals as i d0nt want the drag stack being c0ntaminated by a diffrent grease, h0w ever its unlikely t0 happen but better safe then s0rry its kinda like ch00sing t0 wear a c0nd0m 0r n0t im sure y0u get the idea

n0w lightly rub s0me grease 0n the drag kn0bs rubber seal s0 it may never dry up and be ruined, pls n0te even the standard kn0bs have this seal, the S0m kn0bs are slightly diffrent h0wever all are g00d

n0w y0u are d0ne with the sp00l and all its bits.

n0w im g0ing t0  start with the 0scilliating gear assy as y0u can see ab0ve its all been cleaned up and is ready t0 put back, y0u d0nt have t0 d0 this all the time its a pers0nal ch0ice

please n0tice the gr00ve that l00ks like a bracket 0n the metal bit, there is a raised bit same as that 0n the plastic bit and they need t0 sit int0 each 0ther

its nice t0 put s0me c0rr0si0n x 0n the metal bit f0r pr0tecti0n.

put the tw0 t0gether like this and make sure the pr0trusi0ns 0n each where the spring sits is facing each 0ther, als0 be care full with the spring when putting it in its very easy t0 l00se 0r damage it, a dr0p 0f c0rr0si0n x 0n the spring w0nt d0 any bad

n0w install the 0scillating gear bearing as sh0wn in the pic ab0ve

i d0nt think the 0scilliating gear bearing can be 0pened im s0 i just put a dr0p 0f c0rr0si0n x 0n it, im sure it will find its way in the bearing

n0w install the c0llar 0n the pr0trusi0n 0n the metal bit 0f the gear and y0u can put s0me c0rr0si0n x there t00. n0w keep that wh0le assembly aside t0gether with its screw(y0u can see this screw 0n the 17th pic) and lets m0ve t0 the b0dy.

take the b0dy as sh0wn ab0ve and put a dr0p 0r tw0 0n and under the anti reverse pawl

n0w im just g0ing t0 grease up the b0dy at the sp0t where the 0scillating gear assy sits make sure t0 put en0ugh

n0w take the 0sc gear assy as sh0wn ab0ve and grease the white plastic bit as sh0wn in the pic then keep it back aside with its screw.

n0w take the idle gear bearing and 0pen the retainer and shields and grease it up i have used cals drag grease, after greasing it well put back the shield and retainer ring

take the seal that the idle gear bearing sits 0n, clean it and put s0me 0il 0r grease 0n it s0 it will n0t dry up

n0w take the b0dy and put back the seal that the idle gear bearing sits 0n, make sure its g0ne in well

n0w take the idle gear bearing and but in 0n t0p 0f the seal and make sure it sits in well

take the screws that h0ld the idle gear bearing in place, y0u may n0tice i 0nly g0t 0ne that is because i ruined the sec0nd i asked my br0 t0 get it fr0m daiwa sp0rts uk

n0w take the idle gear grease it up and fit it 0n the idle gear bearing d0nt f0rce it in be gentle as y0u can ruin the bearing, als0 i may menti0n there is an 0 ring inside the idle gear n0 need t0 take it 0ff but try put a dr0p 0f 0il 0n it s0 it cant dry up

this is the 0 ring i menti0ned earlier

0nce the idle gear is installed it shld l00k like this

n0w take the 0sc gear assy and grease well as sh0wn ab0ve, als0 make sure the plastic bits teeth are in line with the metal this is very imp0rtant.

n0w take the 0sc gear assy and fit it in as sh0wn ab0ve make sure the screw has been put fairly tight
when put c0rrectly the idle gear and the 0sc gear assy will mesh nicely like ab0ve in the pic, after this put the b0dy 0n 0ne side.

take the main shaft and add a dr0p 0f c0rr0si0n x 0n each 0f its wheels

slide in the main shaft fr0m behind as sh0wn ab0ve and make sure the white c0llar 0n the 0sc gear sits in the channel underneath the back 0f the main shaft (this is near where we put c0rr0si0n x 0n the wheels n0w under that)

this is h0w it will l00k when d0ne

n0w take y0ur pini0n gear bearing and its c0llar y0u may need t0 0pen and regrease this bearing but in my case there was n0 need

n0w take that c0llar and slide it 0n the main shaft exactly as sh0wn in the pic ab0ve

n0w slide in the pini0n gear bearing as ab0ve

n0w take the pini0n gear grease it up (f0r this i used a diffrent multipurp0se grease that i picked up at the l0cal yamaha dealer its slightly heavier then the cals drag grease but similar c0l0ur) after this keep the pini0n away safely

n0w take the tw0 rachets and the washer, the way i kept them 0n the table is the way they will g0 in starting with the washer.

take that pini0n gear and put the washer 0n the pini0n first, f0ll0wed by the tw0 ratchet, please take n0te that 0ne slide 0f the ratachet is straight and the 0ther side r0undish put them b0th in straight side first if y0u d0nt the emergency antireverse will n0t engage shld the need arise and slipage will 0ccur, als0 n0te that 0nce y0u have d0ne the ab0ve  slide the pini0n gear 0n the main shaft  and the end 0f the pini0n gear will put the bearing in the c0llar and the c0llar in its h0using but d0 all this gently and d0nt f0rce it in hard as this may cause damage. 0nce d0ne it will l00k like the ab0ve pic

n0w as sh0wn ab0ve put a dr0p 0f c0rr0si0n x al0ng the paths where the wheels 0f the main shaft r0ll

take y0ur drive gear and put s0me c0rr0si0n x as sh0wn ab0ve.

take the drive gear as sh0wn ab0ve and grease it up here t00 i used the heavier grease i picked up at the yamaha dealer.

install y0ur drive gear and take care s0 the spring g0es int0 the h0le 0f the anti reverse pawl s0 y0ur antireverse will be aut0maticaly engaged sh0uld the the need arrise. 0nce d0ne carefully place b0dy 0n 0ne side.

here i have just 0pened the side c0ver bearing and greased it up, after greasing up put back shields and retainer ring then keep it aside.

next take the rubber seal grease it little bit and put it where the side c0ver bearing sits 0n the side c0ver

next take the washer and put it as ab0ve y0u may want t0 put a dr0p f c0rr0si0n x 0n the washer bef0re installing it.

install the side c0ver bearing as sh0wn ab0ve and put back the little 4 screws t0 secure the bearing, take care as these little screws have a tendancy t0 get w0rn 0ut at the head s0 d0nt tighten them t00 much, als0 y0u will see the side c0ver has a rubber seal ar0und it n0 need t0 rem0ve this but y0u may grease it up s0 as t0 extend its life

n0w put this washer as sh0wn ab0ve and carefully put away the assembeled side c0ver

take the main b0dy h0ld the t0p 0f the pini0n with 0ne finger s0 it cant fall and install the washer that the r0ller clutch sits 0n, take care n0t t0 tear this washer.

n0w take the r0ller clutch and put c0rr0si0n x 0ver it letting the excess drip 0f, 0r y0u can wipe 0f the excess with a clean s0ck, i c0uld have taken this clutch apart put i dint see the need t0, 0nly take it apart f0r cleaning if needed since the springs inside are very fragile.

n0w install the cluth 0n the reel as sh0wn ab0ve.

take the spacing sleve slide it d0wn the main shaft s0 it sits in the r0ller clutch

this is h0w the spacing sleeve sh0uld sit 

install c0llar like ab0ve.

n0w install the rubber seal inbetween the c0llar and b0dy, y0u may als0 lightly grease this seal s0 it cant dry up.

take the bearing that sits 0n the c0llar 0pen the bearing up and grease it.

return b0th the shields 0n each side and retainer rings.

put that bearing till it sits well 0n the c0llar

n0w screw in the r0ller clutch c0ver and screw it 0n reas0nably tight

put in the side c0ver 0n the b0dy it sh0uld click in when its put pr0perly and tighten all the screws again take care with these screws they get messed up pretty quick.

put in the fricti0n ring/brake ring make sure it sits as sh0wn abv0ve and grease it lightly

install the r0t0r

install the 0 ring as sh0wn ab0ve and grease it lightly

here is the r0t0r nut i dint see a need t0 rem0ve the r0t0r nut bearing 0r its c0llar, this bearing is tiny very hard t0 0pen it up s0 i just put a dr0p 0f c0r0ssi0n x im sure it will find its way in the bearing

tighten the r0t0r nut but n0t t00 just en0ugh 0r y0u may damage the r0t0r.

put the screw t0 secure the r0t0r nut as ab0ve

install the rubber seal exactly as sh0wn in the pic ab0ve d0 it the wr0ng side r0und and water can get in easily

fit the r0t0r nut plate and the seal sh0uld l00k like in the ab0ve pic when d0ne c0rrectly, tighten the screws but n0t 0ver tight 0t they may get damaged while 0pening again

put a dr0p 0f c0rr0si0n x 0n the line r0ller, i did n0t take this apart as i had d0ne it few days ag0 s0 i saw n0 need but after a l0ng trip its adviseable t0 take it apart and relube it

install the l0ngest 0f the tw0 pins as sh0wn in pic ab0ve

n0w install the sp00l metal s0 it sits 0n the pin put earler, next the click spring h0lder assy f0ll0wed by the bearing.

put in the 0ther sp00l metal as ab0ve

as ab0ve install the smaller pin 0f the tw0 s0 it will secure that sp00l metal

n0w install the 0 ring after lightly greasing it, it will make sure the pin stays where its supp0sed t0

put back y0ur sp00l and d0nt tighten the drag t00 much when st0ring such reels at h0me better t0 leave in  kind 0f l00se. , n0w y0ur d0ne, these are very nice and simple reels thats the reas0n i like them all y0u need is t0 change the drag washers t0 ctex and y0u have a 1st class reel that will give y0u years 0f service, the main p0int that attracted me t0 this reel was its l00ks, h0w simple it is inside and its g0t a reas0nably g00d rec0rd just make sure y0u use the reel within its limits and y0u will be fine,

h0pe y0u all find this usefull
thanks
Trishul

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

trishul

Irish Jigger

Good Tutorial, thank you. Will be of great help to those like myself with Daiwa spinners.

trishul

irish jigger thanks, by the way what model in perticular do you use

trishul

redsetta

Nice work trishul - cheers for taking the time and effort.
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

trishul

Irish Jigger

Quote from: trishul on January 26, 2012, 08:22:26 PM
irish jigger thanks, by the way what model in perticular do you use

trishul
Hi trishul,I have a couple of Capricorn 3500A's which are used from both the boat and shore.Very smooth reels.

Alto Mare

Very nice tutorial Trishul. Thanks for sharing and  keep'em coming ;).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

on the dining room table, no less!  my wife would never tolerate that.   ;D  i have a prototype bearing packer that i'd like you to try.  can you send me your mailing address again?  thanks!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

trishul

haha cant blame her alan, by the way thats my br0s r00m 0n his w0rk desk its been made as my tackle st0rage area until he c0mes back in july after his studies in uk, ill give y0u my br0thers adress in uk as i just d0nt trust the tanzanian p0astal system its like a lunatic express fillied with lazy and dumb ppl i will recive it when my br0ther c0mes back in july to tanzania, hope thats 0k with y0u, thanks al0t alan

Trishul Shah
flat 7, isobel house
station road
Harrow, HA1 2RX
united kingdom

alantani

i am sending you a prototype bearing packer that is made of delron instead of brass.  it will work the same at one tenth the weight and one tenth the shipping costs.  enjoy.  take more photos!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

CapeFish

Excellent Trishul, thanks. I am glad to see I am not the only one that uses a syringe for a grease gun! THose mini grease guns are also not available by us.

trishul

Alan, thanks again sure ill take more photos and will post them up here, im planning on doing one for the daiwa exeler 4500t that i have kept for targeting vundu catfish in the rufiji river

CapeFish,  haha as far as the syringe works but grease guns are there here i think

Toni L

Thanks for sharing trishul, I have 2 daiwa catalina, one 4500 and the other 6500.  I've been using the 4500 a bit more than 3 years without giving any care except in the outer and I decided to upgrade the drag washers to carbontex, clean and grease it inside. I´m wondering if these reels can be disassembled by following this tutorial and also if there is anything I can upgrade like bushings.