Seafoam!!

Started by Whit, December 14, 2021, 12:54:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whit

Gents:

Has anyone tried Seafoam to clean reels with? 

I saw a series of posts on a hunting forum where it is apparently good for cleaning guns, sooooo....I'm thinking it ought to be the cats meow for cleaning out reels, especially those with dried out caked-on grease like we are all familiar with.  Mebbe bearings too.

Anyone try it for this application?

I love it for other stuff, mainly for 2 cycle engines, as well as my cars, but can see a plausible use for it on reels

Thanks in advance!

oc1

Please report back when you figure it out.

Squidder Bidder

I wouldn't be crazy about a combined cleaner and lubricant for general use on a reel - I've got dedicated lubricants that I want to apply to clean, dry parts. I've used Birchwood Casey Gunscrubber for cleaning and degreasing with good results before lurking here and settling on Odorless Mineral Spirits as the go-to cleaner/degreaser for metal parts at about $13.00 a gallon (and readily available at your local Home supply store's paint department). For plastic sideplates I've used the Zep brand degreasing products with good results as well. YMMV.

PacRat

I haven't tried SeaFoam but I have been know to dribble a little Marvelous Mystery Oil into the gearbox of a sticky reel. I do this for three reasons. 1) I like the way it smells. 2) It loosens everything up so I can give it some cranks and assess how good or how bad the reel is and if it will be a fixer or a parts doner. 3) When and if I decide to clean it up and fix it, it will be easier to clean because it has been marinated.

I wouldn't fish a reel with oil in it like this as it would be leaking oil but it's a quick, easy way to get a feel for the potential of a reel.

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Whit on December 14, 2021, 12:54:43 AM
Gents:

Has anyone tried Seafoam to clean reels with?  

I saw a series of posts on a hunting forum where it is apparently good for cleaning guns, sooooo....I'm thinking it ought to be the cats meow for cleaning out reels, especially those with dried out caked-on grease like we are all familiar with.  Mebbe bearings too.

Anyone try it for this application?

I love it for other stuff, mainly for 2 cycle engines, as well as my cars, but can see a plausible use for it on reels

Thanks in advance!

It probably would work HOWEVER it is kind of PRICEY  to use for that purpose when there are better and cheaper alternatives.

It is kinda like putting 15 grand worth of Twinkies or Shak Shoes on a 1982 Buick 4 door with rusted out Floor Boards and missing Trunk lid.

But if you want cleaner injectors and  better Mileage on your Reel  . GAME ON!  ;D
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

philaroman

is it even paint-safe?
w/ guns there's not much heavy cleaning close to soluble paint, is there?