Penn and Shimano Replacement Reel Clamp Nuts

Started by Luke, December 14, 2021, 09:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke

I have searched this site for the answer to my question without success so I decided to make a post.

I need to replace the "reel clamp nuts" on a number of Shimano Talicas (12s and 20s) and Penn Fathoms (40Ns) and VISX (12 and 16). All seem to be merely chromed brass and over time take a beating when being tighten and loosened.

Has anyone found a stainless steel replacement?

I know I can order replacements just like what comes with the reels but a stainless version would solve the issue.

Thank you in advance for responding.

Luke Burson

Cuttyhunker

Bring a nut or bolt to any ACE hardware section and you should be able to match the diameter and pitch, metric or SAE. A favorite spot I go to for missing goodies on reels I get in large lot deals.  There is also usually a pitch gauge in better tap and die kits.
Doomed from childhood

mike1010

Quote from: Cuttyhunker on December 14, 2021, 10:08:07 PM
Bring a nut or bolt to any ACE hardware section and you should be able to match the diameter and pitch, metric or SAE. A favorite spot I go to for missing goodies on reels I get in large lot deals.  There is also usually a pitch gauge in better tap and die kits.

Another vote for ACE hardware.  Are they McMaster?  No, but they have a large selection of specialty fasteners compared to most other walk-in hardware stores.

thorhammer

Anywhere I need to replace a hex nut or wingnut, I use SS nylocks. Not sure what these reels have, regular nuts or captive post. If they go on my rods, and I know they will always be on say, a 22mm livebait rod seat, I will often replace the studs with SS screws and cutoff with dremel to finish length flush with nylock. This gives a nice rounded nut, SS, and locked until I want to come off. Very clean looking, especially replacing old wing nuts.