OC 979 CLUTCH ADVICE

Started by Gfish, December 18, 2021, 04:12:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

Got this OC 979 B in a group of freebies. Went through it and was impressed with the design construction. Checked-out OC-1(Steve)'s thread "Why not Ocean City", which featured this reel(photos now missing) and I have'ta agree, Penn took many of OC's engineering designs and cheapened things a bit.

One thing I favor in the Penn design is using 4 screws to secure that larger bridge to the gear side-plate. But, I really like the sturdy looking yolk and AR systems on this particular OC, as well as the 2- nuts holding down the bridge.

Problem: clutch doesn't re-engage the spool smoothly. Put it in free-spool, spin the spool and can't re-engage after lever flip until I torque down the drag AND hold the spool in place. Tried stretching the yolk springs a bit for more force, but no-go. Does some part need modification?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Gfish

More...
Tap on pictures to get a better view.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Gfish

One pic. at a time, I guess...

Gfish

The 2-part bushings. One replaceable part?. There's some kinda oil absorbent material down in the recess in one, the other's absorbent material was trashed on this 70+yrs. old reel. Built in 1950 according to OC-1.

Gfish

Having a terrible time posting what I want to, and no idea why I got doubled-up on the last one.
A "cute little reel" as Steve said, perhaps comparable to a Penn 146 Squidder. Looking at all the components, I'd say it's "overbuilt" compared to a Penn, especially for a conventional this small.

oldmanjoe

Do you have it working now ?      I did not see anything wrong ,  springs looked ok , clutch and spool dog looked ok  .   How is the pinion and clutch fit ?
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Wompus Cat

The pieces I put arrows on need to just Fall into each other with no resistance and gear needs to do same on spool shaft  .Sometimes ya Reely got to polish em up . NO GREASE .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Dominick

Question, was it doing it before you took it apart?  Wompus is correct but it should have very light grease.  Just the amount from greasy fingers should suffice.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Gfish

Ok, thanks. Still doin it—gotta torque the drag star down almost alla way(and put my finger on the spool), to get it back into gear.
Darn, don't remember if it was doin it, before I disassembled it. Good question!
Right then,  I'll splitt'er open again and check them parts, prolly do some close inspection, movement testing and polishing.

It's really a solid little dude. Interesting that it has holes in the stand for clamp screws. Ya never know, someone mighta put serious torque on it way back when; the tail-plate side spool flange has a tiny wobble to it, other side is true-blue.

Wompus Cat

Also I think 
The Spool Engagement Gear is too far down probablly making it Stick to the Gear .

You can adjust that by bending the tangs down a bit

Gfish

Ok. Removed ALL the old grease, wire brushed and polished all the pertinent parts, and temporarily oiled them. Same issue. Interested, I checked-out about 20 Penn & Daiwa conventionals and found variations in the pressure(with drag torque and sometimes finger on spool, as well as handle crank speed), needed to re-engage pinion to spool. Nothing close to what's needed on the 979, though.

Thanks, I'll go back in and play with the E. Jack tangs, maybe brush the crap outta the spool shoulders and the engagement gear, too. This's fun!

My grandson may get this oldie/goodie, because of it's size, but first I gotta get him successively better rigs at each birthday and build-up to it. Last year was a plastic Mickymouse themed Zebco spincaster combo.

Wompus Cat

Well we is in LIMBO Here ?????
Ya get it fixed ?

Gfish

Sorry. Side-tracked myself with 2–other projects that involved X-mas time-crowded-store shopping. Looked for 3M synthetic lube, but settled on Tommy's Syntho Superlube, the food-grade spray stuff(for shelf queen protection). Product selection is limited here. Got 2-weeks off with relatively cold(54F)windy, rainy weather, the yak is ready to go, but I don't know...will get to the O.C., though.

Maybe the pinion is a bit cockeyed and gets stuck, even with the spool shaft in place?
I actually think that the spool female engagement unit(gear) is pressing too hard on the male spool shoulders. As I crank on it after full assembly, the spool turns until I hold it, unless of course everything is lined up, then it goes right in. Maybe the yolk springs are adding too much pressure to that engagement gear?
I'll try weaker(shorter) springs and smooth-off the mating surfaces a bit, before I play with the jack tangs.  
Brute force and ignorance(dogged determination) may eventually get me there. Gettin efficient at dis-and reassembly of the gear-side plate!