Dam quick 550

Started by milne, December 21, 2021, 03:53:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

milne

I have delved into the dark side  ;D.
Well, dark for me and pulled the trigger on a local Dam Quick 550, not mint condition but respectable.
I had promised myself, until we are moved, I wouldn't but any more reels,, Yeah right.
He had a Zangi as well, the 3 speed spinner and that should have been mine as well, but I failed to confirm my upgrade bid and it went for $50 less that I was intending on bidding,, never mind.
So I won't get this Dam quick for a week or two, but just wanted to ask just what these reels are capable of, with regard to the idea, that I may clean up and actually use this puppy.
Interested in hearing about them and if anyone is still wetting a line with them ???

Col

foakes

Good reel, Col —

Large, heavy, well engineered. over-built, and tough.

There are likely a few parts it may need.  Got everything — so no worries.

It will benefit from a full disassembly, cleaning, evacuating of all old greases and oils, burnishing and polishing of all moving parts, re-lubrication with modern synthetic grease & oil, new drags.

Good for another 40 years of steady angling.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

milne

Thankyou Fred,
                        I'll look forward to it arriving and getting it stripped down and cleaned up.
  Now I know that there are people here with knowledge on them, that's reassuring.
I'm normally only a Penn guy, I don't own any Penn spinners at all, But I just new I had to have one of these for some reason..

Regards
Col

foakes

I have a lot of respect for Penn Spinfishers, Col —

Have a lot of them in all sizes.

Same for ABU/Zebco Cardinals.

But even after working on thousands of DAM Quicks — I still find little details in the design, function, and engineering that is unlike any other reel, In my opinion.

They are in a class of their own.

They are amazing and impressive reels for material selection, engineering, tight tolerances that do not degrade or loosen up even after 40-50 years of fishing.

The design and function is no-nonsense, simple, and clever.

And they are not expensive to acquire.

May not be the prettiest horse in the barn — but they will be ready to go fishing anytime you are.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

thorhammer

I have one or two- like walking down concrete steps vs wooden risers. SOLID.

mo65

That first Dam Quick will probably lead to a collection, once you see and feel the precision, stout construction. Welcome to the guild Col! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

oldmanjoe

:D   When you get it , Check it over real good sometimes they show up pregnant !!!
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Midway Tommy

Quote from: oldmanjoe on December 21, 2021, 05:59:57 PM
:D   When you get it , Check it over real good sometimes they show up pregnant !!!

Or in heat and ready to breed.  ;) :D

I do wish, though, that they would have used a satin or gloss type finish. It would have been a lot easier to keep clean and looking good. I'm not a fan of textured type finishes, never have been and never will be. I guess it's like flat house paint, more forgiving and hides surface imperfections. Most drywallers hate satin and gloss wall paints because the bad spots stand out. Probably the same for metal surfaces.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

milne

Thanks guys,
Looking forward to receiving it. It's no show pony and will be fished.
The vintage Penn market has kind of priced itself so high at the moment, that it's almost become a business adventure to collect them.
Quite a few Dam reels pop up here down under ( yes, since buying this one I've been a looking  ;D )..
So I shall report back when it arrives ( hopefully before we move ) and show a few breakdown Pic's,  Seems to be a fair few Guru's on these reels amongst us, That sure is good for a novice..

Hey, Merry Xmas to all as well...

Col

Donnyboat

You will be happy with it Col, there nice solid reels, & if memory serves me right I think, Fred managed me on how to convert a left hand reel to a right hand wind, & yes, merry xmas happy new year, & may 2022, be a healthy & prosperous year to all, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

milne

Oh Boy !!
The 550 arrived at near break neck speed, which for near Xmas, I was right impressed.
I was also impressed with this reel  !!. 
I had a wee play, as you do, but resisted any thought of seeking out my reel tools....  (Still in the middle of packing belongings.)
It's no show pony, but that's fine, this one will get fished as previously mentioned.

Looks like it has a plastic spool..  Are these spools fishable with those ???
But over all, very interesting and can't wait to get the move over with to get this 550 stripped down..

Col

foakes

The plastic spool works very well, Col —

They are heavy duty, and I have seldom seen a broken one.

It is possible to substitute a metal spool from a DQ 270 Super.

Whenever you get to it — just let me know what parts you might need — I will send them out at no charge.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

milne

Hi Fred,
Thanks for your generous offer.
Definitely, will no doubt need your advice when I get to stripping it down..
I was reading about a the 270 metal spool, being a direct fit.
Very excited to have this as my first project, once moved and set up.

There's a bloke down under here, selling NIB Dam reels, 3-4 models, complete with box and all the goodies.....
I am resisting.....
   ;D

Col