Robalo!

Started by nelz, December 21, 2021, 10:08:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelz

The lake action continues, been fishing this location for about 20 years, but 2021 has been one of the most spectacular yet. Today I got this beautiful landlocked snook, that's the fourth one this season!

It's a blast on light tackle with plenty of open water with no structure to break the line, unlike from the ocean pier where I normally catch snook. This rig would have no chance of landing the bruisers that lurk there. On the other hand, I'll eat the salt water fish, but the lake is strictly catch/release for me.

It was a "lake slam" today, bass, peacock and snook!

Ron Jones

Sounds like quite a ride.
That picture looks very similar to your last one, carbon copy snook!
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

nelz

Like I said, this is #4 this year.

Here's the previous one:

steelfish

nice Robalo amigo, those fish can pull some line
The Baja Guy

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Benni3

Very nice fish on light tackle,,,,,, ;D

Gobi King

Slam it! nice fish, congrats.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

JasonGotaProblem

Favorite fight, favorite meal.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

akfish

I understand releasing your snook, but I am curious: Saltwater snook is fantastic on the table; do freshwater snook taste the same? BTW: Nile perch, a close relative to the snook, is great on the table and featured on many menus in Europe and Africa.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Gfish

Nice FW Snook!
How about the fight, FW or SW better, or no difference?
Looked it up. In the Order Perciformes, but not in that family.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

JasonGotaProblem

They are currently out of season in the sunshine state, and that one looked out of slot. He did right by releasing. Neber had a freshie but I'm told its ocean>inshore>fresh in terms of flacor
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

oc1

I don't care how good they taste.  Some fish just shouldn't be kept in this day and age.  They are worth ten times more alive than they are dead.  Get a Filet-O-Fish sandwich instead.

mo65

Quote from: oc1 on December 28, 2021, 03:45:57 AM
I don't care how good they taste.  Some fish just shouldn't be kept in this day and age.  They are worth ten times more alive than they are dead.  Get a Filet-O-Fish sandwich instead.

Steve, your response reminds me of our response when folks ask if we kept a fish. We always say "Nope...but on the way back to the house we stopped at Donnie's and got a feesh sammich"!  ;D
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

nelz

Thanks guys for all the compliments. Some answers to points brought up:

1: The fight is awesome on the light rig I use, plenty of drag screaming. Got some on the Mini-Mite and a Symeter 2000, both with light braid and barbless hooks.

2: Yes the season is closed, C&R only, and yes it would have been under slot size anyway.

3: Don't know how they taste because I'll never eat one from these waters. Too many houses surround the lake, that means plenty of pesticides and cesspools oozing into the water.

4: Yes, Nile Perch look alot like giant Snook, and so do Barramundi from down under, no doubt another close relative to the snook and tasty too.

Wishin' y'all a happy fishin' new year!  ;D

Btw, (previously posted this one), but for comparison, heres a "Fat Snook", different species, got 'em on the Mini Mite: