Penn Jigmaster 500 Upgrades

Started by dusdau, December 22, 2021, 12:46:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dusdau

I picked up an old Jigmaster 500 for $30 and broke it down and it seems to be in pretty good shape. Let's say I don't want to put anymore than $30 more dollars into it (we'll see how that goes). All looks good, even the brass gear sleeve, but I may get new one anyway. What would you suggest? Handles, drag system, etc. Love the reel. For reference, it's red, optional 37 cross posts, red plastic spool in good condition. All parts are either original or replaced with matching parts.

I'm looking at a slight chance of 50-60 catfish 4-5 times a year and hit the Gulf 1-2 times for MAYBE a nice grouper or two. Nothing crazy, and one of the larger ones would be seldom.

Looking at Alan's 6-113 drag washer upgrade for starters. He seems to remove the spring washer Key 8 if that's done.

Thanks for any input.

akfish

The most important thing is to make sure you are using carbon fiber drag washers -- either Penn HT-100 or Smooth Drag drag washers. I would also strongly recommend that you find an aluminum spool. Those plastic spools were discontinued for a reason, and you don't want to find out why while you're fighting a nice fish.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Swami805

Sage advice from akfish, That should get you fishing
Do what you can with that you have where you are

dusdau

Quote from: akfish on December 22, 2021, 01:22:08 AM
The most important thing is to make sure you are using carbon fiber drag washers -- either Penn HT-100 or Smooth Drag drag washers. I would also strongly recommend that you find an aluminum spool. Those plastic spools were discontinued for a reason, and you don't want to find out why while you're fighting a nice fish.

Thanks. It keeps erroring out if I try and attach a pic of the washers, as I'm not 100% they are carbon fiber when I thought they were. Definitely no criss cross pattern to them. I don't see where to just drop a pic in within this conversation either.

alantani

if your jigmaster already has a set of three ht-100 drag washers, then just grease them and call it done.  for the drag washer under the main gear, use the carbontex drag from smoothdrag.com.  watch out for the rabbit hole!!!!!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Wompus Cat

Not a lot you can do to one of those other than Frame,Side Plates,Dual Dog Bridge,Stainless Gear Set, Sleeve ,Carbontex Drags,Spool ,Custom Handle and Knob.

If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

dusdau

Quote from: alantani on December 22, 2021, 03:47:03 AM
if your jigmaster already has a set of three ht-100 drag washers, then just grease them and call it done.  for the drag washer under the main gear, use the carbontex drag from smoothdrag.com.  watch out for the rabbit hole!!!!!   ;D

You got that right on the rabbit hole! Did they come with HT-100 stock? I did grease black drag washers but now not 100% they're HT or carbon fiber. Not sure how to post a pic. Black but no apparent criss cross but sure didn't seem felt And which carbontex washer at smoothdrag.com? I have 113 on the way.

dusdau

Quote from: Wompus Cat on December 22, 2021, 04:08:13 AM
Not a lot you can do to one of those other than Frame,Side Plates,Dual Dog Bridge,Stainless Gear Set ,Carbontex Drags,Spool ,Custom Handle and Knob.

That's awesome.

scrinch

Yeah, having the same Jigmaster for 30 years for many guys here is like having the same axe for 30 years...only replaced the handle 5 times and the head twice!

akfish

Both Smooth Drag and HT-100 drag washers have a cross hatch finish; however, after years of use, this crosshatch pattern will wear down. if you can discern a cross hatch pattern, you need to replace the drag washers. As for the washer under the main gear, I just use the standard Penn 004-060. I think it works fine; I'm not convinced a carbon fiber washer under the main gear really does much.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

dusdau

Quote from: akfish on December 22, 2021, 10:38:33 AM
Both Smooth Drag and HT-100 drag washers have a cross hatch finish; however, after years of use, this crosshatch pattern will wear down. if you can discern a cross hatch pattern, you need to replace the drag washers. As for the washer under the main gear, I just use the standard Penn 004-060. I think it works fine; I'm not convinced a carbon fiber washer under the main gear really does much.

That's what I needed. I already had the HT-100 set in my cart, and this confirms it. Wish I'd been more aware to look for the aluminum spool, but at least reel I got is in pretty dang good shape. See if I can track down a spool or decide to go brand new. Thanks again.

Wompus Cat

I think AK meant to say If you can NOT see a cross hatch pattern on the Carbontex type drag discs then the Drags need replacing .
I like using the thicker drag disc under the Sleeve like Alan said too .It makes for a Tighter Fit in the Stack and takes less turns on the Star at first but it is a Personal Preference as it does not provide a LOT more Drag but some .

dusdau

Quote from: Wompus Cat on December 22, 2021, 12:55:52 PM

I think AK meant to say If you can NOT see a cross hatch pattern on the Carbontex type drag discs then the Drags need replacing .
I like using the thicker drag disc under the Sleeve like Alan said too .It makes for a Tighter Fit in the Stack and takes less turns on the Star at first but it is a Personal Preference as it does not provide a LOT more Drag but some .

Yeah, I knew that's what he meant. The thicker drag disc should arrive today or tomorrow, so I may as well at least try it out. Did you remove the spring washer as Alan suggested too? The drag wheel also has a limited range. It only turns about a half revolution. Internally it all seems fine, so I'm not sure what's going on there. The spacing sleeve seems to be the original standard .490 inches, and I have two shorter ones on the way to see if maybe it's blocking the revolutions. But if it's the standard size, it seems it would allow for 4-5 revolutions still. Any ideas??

Wompus Cat

Well some pics would certainly help .If you can not post them then I will p/m you and address you can send them to me and I will see if I can post them for you . My thoughts are you have too many of something in your array .

You should have more turn on the Star in my opinion .
But if you have a thick drag set-up as in protruding past the gear very much then this will happen and it is not a bad thing necessarily as long as it is not too tight in the backed out position .

dusdau

Quote from: Wompus Cat on December 22, 2021, 01:59:25 PM
Well some pics would certainly help .If you can not post them then I will p/m you and address you can send them to me and I will see if I can post them for you . My thoughts are you have too many of something in your array .

You should have more turn on the Star in my opinion .
But if you have a thick drag set-up as in protruding past the gear very much then this will happen and it is not a bad thing necessarily as long as it is not too tight in the backed out position .

Well, it keeps erroring out when I try and attach files of a few pics. Let's try via email. Not sure what's going on. I did break it down last week and everything seemed to be as it should. It is fairly easy to turn the spool when the wheel is backed out.