MITCHELL 302 SALTWATER

Started by Mtdewman, December 22, 2021, 08:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mtdewman

I just bought a decent looking Michell 302 saltwater  reel at the local junk shop. Everything is in decent shape and works like it should except the bail will not stay locked in the open position to cast.  I have not had time to look into it very much but was just wondering if anybody knew where i need to look first to repair the issue. I have never worked on an Old Mitchell Reel ,just some old Penn reels.  I figure the bail spring is shot or the the bail release pin is broken. Just looking for some advice before I try to fix it. Thanks

Wompus Cat

Usually it is the thing won't snap back with me .
A good cleaning will surprise you sometimes .
Here is a schematiic Mo65 put up a few years ago that might help you  .
Welcome to the Forum

If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Mtdewman

handi2

I cut my teeth on those reels.

Bend the locking tab back and remove the nut. Bend the bail wire until it lines up perfectly with the bail arm. That should do it.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Ron Jones

Keith is the expert, but I also agree with Wompus, sometimes a shot of spray cleaner / lubricant will set things right.

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

cmdrzog

pin 81396 must engage bail arm to retain it in the open position... make sure it moves freely thru the rotor and the recess in the bail arm isnt clogged.  81393 and 81392 need to oiled.  I used liquid wrench to keep things clean.

When i fished the beaches it was a weekly task.  Then I switched to a manual p/u ... no more bail issues  especially no bail to snap closed when trying to max out the distance.