VISX 16 clicking during free spool

Started by WalterWyman, December 29, 2021, 01:07:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WalterWyman

Good afternoon I have a 16 VISX that has a click in free spool sounds like it comes from the left side but the clicker is removed and when you flip so the handle is up or down the clicking stops but when the reel is normal the click is there? Every thing like bearings are clean and by themselves are quiet! What are some of the thing I should be looking at or if you know what I can do to stop the click let me know this has gotten me stumpped.

Thanks
Wally
"You said the grinding sound just started after leaving it sit wet for 1 year?" I see.....

Dominick

It's probably the dog clicking through the gears.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

alantani

been wracking my brain trying to figure this one out.  i can't think of anything obvious.  i'd really have to have the reel in hand to help.....   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

WalterWyman

Thank you guys so much for your ideas!! I got a hold of Tony D at Penn and he told me that the metal drag plate knocking around in the spool and to simply grease the ears! It worked so I though I would let you guys know if you ever get this on your bench or clean one to always grease the ears on the 7A metal drag washer!!!!
Thanks again
Wally
"You said the grinding sound just started after leaving it sit wet for 1 year?" I see.....

Wompus Cat

Lotta IF's but IF you did not hear it before you serviced it then ya Could have something out of place .
IF you don't know  whether or not it was doing it before ya still could have something out of place.
IF it only does it when it is level fishing position and does NOT inverted or rotated then I would suspect a Bearing or washer ,shim as you are moving the Load off those to a different position when rotating it .
Or there is a Nick in the drags or plates . Gob of more IF's.
The smallest  bits of Drag dust ,debris of some sort that can move about when rotating the Reel can lodge in a multitude of spots to drive you NUTS like this .
GOOD LUCK to /You .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Wompus Cat

Quote from: WalterWyman on December 30, 2021, 09:25:20 PM
Thank you guys so much for your ideas!! I got a hold of Tony D at Penn and he told me that the metal drag plate knocking around in the spool and to simply grease the ears! It worked so I though I would let you guys know if you ever get this on your bench or clean one to always grease the ears on the 7A metal drag washer!!!!
Thanks again
Wally

Well that makes perfect sense in that the noise would go away when you rotated it.\
You must have REEL GOOD Hearing .
Thanks for letting every one know what you found .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Penn

Quote from: WalterWyman on December 30, 2021, 09:25:20 PM
Thanks again
Wally

;D

tony

gary760

I (probebly) had exactly the the same thing on a previous 12vsx model, some kind soul told me it was the drag plate rattling arround I greased it wiped off the excess. But left a little excess on the very edge. Rattling went away completely.