Older Penn 4400SS. Anti-reverse issue. Single flat rachet

Started by Fishgolfman, December 30, 2021, 02:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishgolfman

I am getting an anti-reverse that works when reel has shaft removed.. When Ii put it back. Anti-reverse most of time does not work. The rachet is a flat one and dog has the metal piece spring built in? Nothing looks too worn. Before I order new dog and rachet, Any additional ideas?

Shark Hunter

Those can be finicky. Make sure there is no grease in there. Only use oil, or it will stick.
Pictures will help.
Life is Good!

Fishgolfman

After through analysis by taking another functional penn 4400ss reel apart, the dog is the problem with wear on tip. Ever so slight too!. The rachet has slight wear. I will replace both dog and rachet with parts from mystic. Since i had two reels apart i will do preventative maintenance on both.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Fishgolfman

Hi. I finally got the 4-450 dog part from mystic. Replaced it! Also ordered flat rachet but upon comparison looked fine. Reel works now in anti reverse. Pictures Included: look at the subtlety of the dog wear. Side by side comparison of new vs old. Basically the tip was worn enough not to work anymore!

alantani

in a pinch, i have taken a small file and squared off the tip of the dogs.  it's not the best solution, but sometimes it can get you by.  otherwise, a new replacement is always the best way to go!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!