Penn 209 Wide

Started by Farmer Mike, January 04, 2022, 10:54:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farmer Mike

I have come accross a set of parts in a parts lot that appear to be for a 209 wide. 

One un-numbered spool but it is the same diameter as a 209 but almost 2.5" wide with the typical small worm drive gear above the clicker gear.

Also found a worm drive shaft and drive shaft cover about 2.5" long.

I think the side plates that go with these wide parts are black and clicker side plate reads PENN then 209 Level Wind-  made in usa.

More typical 209s are about 2" wide identified as Penn Peer 209.

I have looked at Mystic for any reference for a wide 209 but to no avail.

Can anyone point me in a direction to find some parts.  I have yet to find the thicker top bar for the level wind in the lot.

I suspect the guts are the same as typical 209s. 

Ill try to post some pic later.

Bill B

I too, have never heard of a wide 209....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

thorhammer

possibly a 155 spool and LW parts from 309?

Cuttyhunker

I noticed the 155 guts are the basis for other reels too, the 350 and the Surfmasters.  That would, I'd bet, allow for a variety of Fankenreels on a boring winter's day at the bench
Doomed from childhood

Shellbelly

I've read about folks removing the level wind parts from the 209,309 in attempts to improve casting performance.  I can see how this would morph into making them wider just because you can.  Still you just have X09 gear and drags designed for fish in the 20-30#-ish range and relatively short play time.  If you have 209 wide parts made by Penn, you've landed some cool stuff!!  I just don't see Penn doing that, but it's Penn and never say never to an enigma.   
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Gfish

The 309 spool holds a significantly larger volume of line than the 209 spool.
I like the 209 with the spool bushings, but the gears are 3.2:1. A 210 has ball bearings, Jigmaster gears(4:1)/drags(good for upgrade to 5+1 drags, from 3+1), and shares many parts with the 209(e.g. levelwind stuff, posts, rings and stand). BUT, the spools are equal in volume(longer spool shafts on the 210 to accommodate the ball bearings, though).
You might godda go with a 309 or some other levelwinder if you want more line capacity. How 'bout braided line for more yards on the spool.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Shellbelly

OK.  Had to try.  The 155 stand will fit, but is just a smidge off due to the diameter.  The spool fits, spins and accepts adjustment from the bushing but there is some slight end play when the bushing is tight.  A piece of felt packing would take that up without losing alignment in the frame. There is a little more gap at the rings, but not a concern unless you run 5# test or some other very small line.  Clicker works.  It's 2-3/8 ish wide inside vs the stock 2-3/16-ish original. 

That leaves out all the level wind features.  I didn't remove the 209 gear from its spool, but that could be fitted onto the 155 spool arbor after figuring out how to make the "keeper" play nice on the 155 spool arbor.... which was not designed for such a thing. 

If all is properly fitted, then the guide post, worm shaft and its cover become the next step....got no clue there.  That's where I would like to see the wide parts that came with your reel.  In my opinion, those three parts, if true factory 209 parts, make the reel a factory option product and a very unique thing.  The drive gear factory-fitted onto the 155 arbor would be cool too.

Thanks for posting!  i'm in between reels right now and this was fun.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Farmer Mike

Bringing the converstion full circle.  I finally realized that the extra long worm gaer probably came from a KMART/SEARS level wind reel, I remeber discarding some KMART/SEARS parts from a box of parts I bought and sorted through.  The worm gear must have appeared penn and was kept.

Thanks for the input the worm gear fit pretty well with the Penn components.I suppose you could Frankenstein a wide 209 but unnecessary.

The best Frankenstein I did was A Jigmaster 500 and 500S 1 reel with dual removable end plates  the other with none. Butt ungly miss matched head and tail plates it does work though.