The weekest link.

Started by gstours, January 06, 2022, 05:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

The following rambling is some of my findings.  :)   It has to do with several knots that seem to work best for me.   My jig fishing has been using a heavier mono and a crimp to the jig swivel and a spectra connection knot to a full reel.
  I've tested quite a few FG knots and compared them to the RP knot (bobbin knot) and for me the RP seems to be more reliable.
  The ringed grommet has a variation of the John Collins knot that he has shown us on the U-tube.  The exception is I'm using lighter mono so I add two more turns.    Small, easy to do,  very reliable I'd say.
The 50# Spiderwire braid is .003 diameter and will cut you.   Below is a couple of pictures. 
     The shown braid tied with Santiago, and several other favorites to a swivel could never exceed 30 or so pounds of constant strain,   Butt the bobbin knot to the 100# mono seems to be the trick,   The bobbin knot seems to be stronger than the braid,   It's nowthe perfect marriage........
     I've broken off a few fish I'd like to have seen in order to get my hook back,  with this change it seems like something better,   Like in evolution.   

gstours

The spool shown is how the non bitter end of the line going to the reel is holding the braid securely for the strain testing.   Several of these tests prove the identical results.
   The bobbin knot has 25 wraps down and 35 wraps back and a dozen half hitches used to hold the balled mono end.    My bobbin weighs 40 grams,    These are some findings. :(

alantani

a single san diego and a modified tony pena are all i use.   :-\

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

oc1

The relative diameters of the mono and spectra seems to be important for the FG knot to work.  I've had trouble when the diameters are too similar or too different.

Gfish

Very good video Allen. If I did one, that's just how I'd want it to come out.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

gstours

Thanks Boss,    :).   Great video,  certainly easier to tie any where.   Like you said there's a lot of good knots and the best ones are the ones you can have confidence in. 
   I'm glad you took the time to respond.   We all benefit from your forum.     ;)

the rockfish ninja

Quote from: gstours on January 07, 2022, 03:47:19 PM
certainly easier to tie any where.

Quite true, that's the only drawback to the PR knot, having to use the bobbin to re-tie if you break off. In a 4-5ft swell that's a challenge, I have a tough enough time doing it on dry land :P.

Aside from that it's the greatest knot I've come across, super strong connection, rarely fails, and the smoothest knot going thru the guides that I know of. It's a necessity for my finesse slow pitch jigging.
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

boon

Quote from: the rockfish ninja on January 08, 2022, 06:33:40 AM
Quote from: gstours on January 07, 2022, 03:47:19 PM
certainly easier to tie any where.

Quite true, that's the only drawback to the PR knot, having to use the bobbin to re-tie if you break off. In a 4-5ft swell that's a challenge, I have a tough enough time doing it on dry land :P.

Aside from that it's the greatest knot I've come across, super strong connection, rarely fails, and the smoothest knot going thru the guides that I know of. It's a necessity for my finesse slow pitch jigging.

I tie PRs at home, FG on the water.... maybe some more PRs under my belt and I'll be comfortable tieing them on a boat.