Same issue on most of my reels ...... ideas ?

Started by fakky, January 07, 2022, 09:04:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fakky

Hi all
1st time poster.
I have moved to FL and kayak fishing for reds - quirte hard on my gear eitehr due to rod/reels scraping against something or failling in the water. So have taken to try and servicing them. Doesnt seem too bad except for 1 consistent thing I cant quite work out.

I tried to take a video here - sorry for low volume.
But basically the reel itself will free psin by hand quite easily with just a touch of the finger around worm gear shaft. But when attaching teh handle - its very tight and binds.
This happens across ALL of my spinning reels.

The part that confuses me is that these reel handles just lock in the main gear that attaches to the worm gear - so for all intents and pusposes etc - its the same mechanism that spins freely without the handle (I think).

So whta would be the issue that causes binding that I need to focus on.

thanks !!

Squidder Bidder

alantani

the handle's drive shaft has a bearing on the right side for sure, and either a bearing or bushing on the left side.  check to see if the bearings are totally seized.  there is a possibility that you could just pull the handle and lube one or both bearings and get the handle to spin well.  corrosion x would be a good lube to use.  TSI 321 might penetrate better.  give it a try.  
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

handi2

I would remove one of the main gear shims and try again. When I rebuilt them I usually have to.

A quick tip is to loosen the cover screws just a little to see if it gets easier to crank.

Penn reels will never crank as easy as a shimano.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

fakky

Quote from: Squidder Bidder on January 07, 2022, 09:40:47 PM
It could be a bent spool shaft.

Dont think os just that I have 3 reels and its happened on all of them .....
I service them ..... and fine ...... then a few weeks/months later same deal

fakky

Quote from: alantani on January 07, 2022, 09:57:45 PM
the handle's drive shaft has a bearing on the right side for sure, and either a bearing or bushing on the left side.  check to see if the bearings are totally seized.  there is a possibility that you could just pull the handle and lube one or both bearings and get the handle to spin well.  corrosion x would be a good lube to use.  TSI 321 might penetrate better.  give it a try.  

Bearings both spin fine ..... to me ..... not sure how much free spin they would normally have though .... meaning if they have tightened at all.
Also .... in the video the handle spins fine when pushed with finger ...... wouldn't that still be spinning through the same bearing ?

fakky

Quote from: handi2 on January 07, 2022, 09:58:35 PM
I would remove one of the main gear shims and try again. When I rebuilt them I usually have to.

A quick tip is to loosen the cover screws just a little to see if it gets easier to crank.

Penn reels will never crank as easy as a shimano.

Keith

Interesting - I had thought of this previously but never tried it.
I just removed the back cover .... cleaned out some excess grease .... reassembled and put some PTFE superluibe on the bearings .....  (my normal level of service when it starts to play up).

Back to normal gain (which is what always happens too :)  )

handi2

I've noticed with all of Penn's spinners the screws aren't very tight. That's why I usually have to remove one shim.
Gulf Breeze, FL

fakky

Quote from: handi2 on January 07, 2022, 10:31:15 PM
I've noticed with all of Penn's spinners the screws aren't very tight. That's why I usually have to remove one shim.

handi/all - where do most people get their bearings for reels :)  thx

handi2

From Dawn at Smooth Drag. Just look it up on the website.

Boca Bearings too.

Or just send me a PM.

Keith
Gulf Breeze, FL

Paul Roberts

If they go back to "normal" after servicing... might there be sand getting in? If you suspect bearings, pull them and hit with Paslode until clean and see if they spun free and quiet. If so, repack. If not, consider replacing.

boon

Bad bearing somewhere in the reel. Because they're quite fast (guessing like 5:1?) when you spin it by the rotor you have a huge geared advantage (or if it's the pinion, no gear disadvantage) at turning the sad bearing, but not when spinning by the handle.

I'd say pinion bearing, anti-reverse, or main bearing, in that order.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

fakky

Quote from: boon on January 25, 2022, 05:13:33 AM
Bad bearing somewhere in the reel. Because they're quite fast (guessing like 5:1?) when you spin it by the rotor you have a huge geared advantage (or if it's the pinion, no gear disadvantage) at turning the sad bearing, but not when spinning by the handle.

I'd say pinion bearing, anti-reverse, or main bearing, in that order.

If I had to guess right now I would say this ^^^ mostly because really what else could it be :)

I mean - nothing stands out - even the bearings appear to rotate freely (just dont know if there are as a free as when new as never handled them then).

My next plan of attack when it happens is to buy whole new kit of bearings and replace 1 at a time and see where we are at.

thx all

nelz

I dunno man, but all three reels experiencing this? I'd venture to guess that you're mis-assembling them in some way. Check the schematics to be sure.