accurate valiant 300 spool rubbing problem

Started by steelfish, March 01, 2023, 07:04:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

hello guys, well I just got this reel from a friend that bought this reel online already used, he sent me the reel because it felt rough when turning the handle with just 4#-5# drag at strike, I told him it surely will be a bearing problem and after checking the reel I found out 4 bearings were shot, pinion bearing, 2 spool bearings and the left side bearing too.

I installed new bearings and the reel felt much better but still I didnt felt it smooth, not rough anymore but also not smooth, it has a small gearing sound like if some of the teeth of the gears didnt match perfectly in a small zone of the circumference of the main gear and pinion, so I opened the reel again and and inspected the rest of the parts for visual damage, thats when I noticed the lip of the spool has marks from rubbing the frame in just some places.  :-\  >:(

BUT, the current sound that the reel makes its not a rubbing or scratching sound but still bugs me and I cant call it this reel done because of it.

so, check the pictures and give me your opinion of can be the main cause of the spool rubbing the frame, you can also see the marks on the frame were the spool lip was touching it? - do you guys thing that the bad bearings could let the spool to move enough to touch the frame?
or maybe the previous owner used the reel way above the recommended drag and bent the spool shaft a bit that caused the rubbing the shot the bearings  :-\

anyway, for now the reel has good freespool (but nothing spectacular just decent and better than before) and doesnt have the ugly rough sound but a tiny gearing sound at the half of one complete handle turning (imagine the gearing sound of a newell reel but lot lower and just in a zone of the gearing and not always "on" as on the newell reels)
as you can see in one picture, Im showing the spool on the zone where there are not marks at all on it.

it was pretty late at night so, I didnt clocked the freelspool time and drag readings at strike and full, I will check that out tonight

The Baja Guy

Hardy Boy

Alex: Is there a "bump" anywhere on the frame from corrosion or a screw or a dent ?? I have run into that before.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Gfish

Interesting. It could be bad bearings and you fixed it. I'd paint it with a same color(frame and spool) permanent marker and do some testing.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

steelfish

Quote from: Hardy Boy on March 01, 2023, 07:13:54 PMAlex: Is there a "bump" anywhere on the frame from corrosion or a screw or a dent ?? I have run into that before.
Cheers:
Todd

nothing that I can remember seeing but I will check it out again later today.

so, you think it might be caused by a hit and twisted/pushed the frame a bit ?
The Baja Guy

day0ne

Last picture, the spool doesn't seem to be square on the shaft.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

steelfish

Quote from: Gfish on March 01, 2023, 07:35:10 PMInteresting. It could be bad bearings and you fixed it. I'd paint it with a same color(frame and spool) permanent marker and do some testing.

I would use it as is but the gearing sound still bugging me, all I can think is the 1st owner used the reel with bad bearings enough time to let the gears match each other without the perfect align and support from the bearings, now the teeth the both gears had uneven marks or something like that, but that sounds like an easy answer  :-\  not my way, tho.
but very likely.
The Baja Guy

steelfish

Quote from: day0ne on March 01, 2023, 07:52:10 PMLast picture, the spool doesn't seem to be square on the shaft.
well I wasnt trying to check the spool just wanted a picture of a side were there were not rubbing marks, I think its not square on the shaft because the bearings werent correctly sit
The Baja Guy

Bryan Young

Does the spool rub when in free spool or only when drag is applied (shifting the spool to the right)?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

steelfish

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 01, 2023, 08:09:12 PMDoes the spool rub when in free spool or only when drag is applied (shifting the spool to the right)?

to be honest, I never felt or was aware by my friend that the spool was rubbing the frame, what it was pretty noticeable when you cracked the reel when drag on strike +- 5# you could felt the same roughness of a bad pinion gear and I went directly to check it out and of course it was shot as well as the other 3 bearings I mentioned.

right now, I can see by turning the spool with the drag activated at strike, how the spool lip its closer to the reel frame on the same place where it has the rubbing marks, if you continue to turning the handle you can see how the spool vs frame has more space between them where it has no marks of rubbing versus the same zones that has the rubbing marks, but as for now, I cannot detect that the spool is touching the frame anymore.

PS: actually my personal accurate boss extreme 400N make the same gearing sound so, maybe its jus the nature of the beast  ::) , I dont have or had had in my hands many accurate reels on this small sizes to compare the sound and handle at 10 to 15# or so.
The Baja Guy

Bryan Young

If it's rubbing in one area, then the spool shaft is likely bent.  Accurate reels have very little tolerances.  it it rubs inconsistently, try another bearing.  I've had issues with new bearing tolerances.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

steelfish

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 01, 2023, 11:40:53 PMIf it's rubbing in one area, then the spool shaft is likely bent. 

check in the 1st pictures, they show the rubbing marks on just one area, in the last picture of "the other side" of the spool, there are no marks at all.  :-\

I already spoke with the owner of the reel and since the reel is much better than before and he "needs" the reel in two weeks, he will use the reel as is because there is no more rubbing, according on how he feel the reel in the next fishing trip we will order a new shaft
The Baja Guy

boon

Yeah, bent spool shaft. These are really a slowpitch reel but I think people try to fish them like they're a Boss Magnum or something, which they're just not built for.

Bryan Young

To test the theory of the bent spool shaft, rotate the shaft 180 degrees and instead of hitting the frame on the bottom, it should hit the Frame at the top or vise versa.  I cannot recall the pictures while typing.

MarkT

Well, if it's now good, it's good! It might have been rubbing due to the bad bearings if they were really bad! I've seen bearings so disintegrated that I can't remove the bearing but rather 5 pieces!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!