Garbage can find 5500 ss

Started by oldmanjoe, January 14, 2022, 01:56:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

handi2

Quote from: TonyM on January 15, 2022, 04:19:41 AM
Quote from: oldmanjoe on January 14, 2022, 06:12:27 AM
Quote from: TonyM on January 14, 2022, 03:43:14 AM
I just looked at my 5500 SS.  The cap has male threads and threads into the body.  You should be able to see the internal threads.
Does your cap have a slot to use a screwdriver to remove it?

Joe

I apologize, when I looked at your pic, I thought it was the side plate.  Did not realize it was the knob in the back of the reel.  I checked again and the two reels I have, that piece is tight.  Does not turn.  Appears to be a pressed fit or using some type of adhesive.   I have not tried to remove it, since it only seems to function as centering point for the end of the shaft.

But it does have a part that is called a bushing shaft screw which would make one think it has to be threaded in.

The bushing and cap are just push in parts.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Wompus Cat on January 15, 2022, 04:39:02 AM
Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on January 15, 2022, 02:24:25 AM
Joe I didn't realize you had these powers. Line lay is a pain on these with braid. Ever consider making your own spool? One a bit shorter?

Joe has an Excellent Lathe to make his own Spools

https://alantani.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=32384.0;attach=94422;image
Or you can see more here .   https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=32384.0
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

oldmanjoe

Quote from: handi2 on January 15, 2022, 07:00:35 PM
Quote from: TonyM on January 15, 2022, 04:19:41 AM
Quote from: oldmanjoe on January 14, 2022, 06:12:27 AM
Quote from: TonyM on January 14, 2022, 03:43:14 AM
I just looked at my 5500 SS.  The cap has male threads and threads into the body.  You should be able to see the internal threads.
Does your cap have a slot to use a screwdriver to remove it?

Joe

I apologize, when I looked at your pic, I thought it was the side plate.  Did not realize it was the knob in the back of the reel.  I checked again and the two reels I have, that piece is tight.  Does not turn.  Appears to be a pressed fit or using some type of adhesive.   I have not tried to remove it, since it only seems to function as centering point for the end of the shaft.

But it does have a part that is called a bushing shaft screw which would make one think it has to be threaded in.

The bushing and cap are just push in parts.
Cool this is the first graphite penn reel that i opened up and learned some thing about them ...
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare