Fiberglass Restore

Started by jgp12000, January 18, 2022, 03:41:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgp12000

I have seen a product before but forget the name, it restores faded fiberglass boats(painted) any ideas or suggestions?

Midway Tommy

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

oc1

The two options are a penetrant or an abrasive.  The penetrant is quick and looks great with a shiny finish, but does not last long because it does not make a permanent bond.  The abrasive is slow, takes a lot of elbow grease and leaves a matt finish unless you really invest a lot of time and buff it ito a shine.  Once done, it can last as long as the original finish.  If the  fiberglass has deteriorated so much that it has tiny cracks in the gel coat then all you can do is grind it off and attenpt to recoat with resin.  The recoated resin will not adhere well will not be as smooth and durable as the original finish.  The tiny cracks are not a structural problem and do not affect integrity.  It is OK (maybe better) to just leave them.

Bill B

Was it GelGloss you were thinking of?  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

handi2

On restorable fiberglass I've  use automotive New Finish.

I still have the Dewalt and Porter Cable buffers and a few hundred dollars worth of wool buffing pads. If the fiberglass is badly oxidized you will need the same.

After the heavy stuff is used we use 3m FinnessIt.
Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL