Loosely woven.

Started by gstours, January 21, 2022, 03:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

A little while ago I got another spool of 50# Spider Wire ,   As a line I've trusted for quite awhile,  I recently tied up some knots for testing it and it passed muster acceptance.    While the cut and broken ends were inspected it was noticed that the braid seemed looser than other brands of braid.   It also seems to be coated with a finish that will wear off with continuous use.   Just wondering,🤔   Just saying.🤷‍♂️

philaroman

original tightly braided & minimally coated SW & PP were made by Safariland & Innovative Textiles, resp.
they were bought out (more than once?) & the product name was slapped on completely different products
w/ loose weave & heavy, waxy, messy coating -- cheaper to manufacture & thinner, albeit weaker w/ reduced longevity

boon

Are you certain it's genuine? Lots and lots of knock-off braid out of China labeled Spider Wire.

If it's not just a small section that's loose like that, I'd toss the lot.

Wompus Cat

My old Eyes ain't what they use to be .
I thought the Title of this Thread said .

LOOSE WOMEN  ::)
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Keta

I get my Spectra directly from JB, no chance of getting counterfeit line.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

i dunno, gary.  that doesn't look right.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Donnyboat

Gee Billy your to old for that, ha haa, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Donnyboat on January 25, 2022, 01:38:21 PM
Gee Billy your to old for that, ha haa, cheers Don.

You might be right Don .I can't really afford a New Fancy Schmancy Car either but I like Lookin under the Hoods .

But back on Topic
Here is a link that Might Enlighten One  on Fishing Line Stuff
  Fishing Line Stuff

And the Reason your line is slick or coated is
In order to increase the performance and abrasion resistance of braided lines some are coated with a tough polymer, like Teflon in the case of Spiderwire Stealth. These coatings are applied to some after the micro-fiber lines are braided together while others are braided after each individual mico-fiber is pre-coated. 

After a while I suppose this is degraded .

And the reason your line seems to be separating is probably a combination of age ,loss of coating and or smaller number of threads
Plus the way it was made as in Braided or Woven .

If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

gstours

The line spool on it set made in usa.  It's maybe the city of usa
in China or Bangladeshi?
    The line seems to be plenty strong  in my pull tests as it will break before the rating.   This test uses no knots.
It was fairly inexpensive,   Butt you can decide?     Thanks 🙏

jurelometer

We did a whole thread on this before.

Braid weaves comes in various tightness, specified by the pic count.   The sharper turns in the fibers make tighter weaves slightly weaker(if everything else is unchanged), but the braid will be a bit  stiffer+ rounder (good for casting), and usually more expensive.   The strands are called carriers.  If the line companies wanted to be upfront, they could publish the specs for all of this, but they usually just provide overall diameter, line class (AKA breaking strength), and number of carriers.   

When  a line company orders a batch from the actual weaver, there will be specifications for pic count, and the range and frequency of acceptable deviations.   The stuff that doesn't make the grade probably still gets sold, and ends up in the marketplace as either as discount brands or counterfeits. 

If you get a single chunk of loose weave in a spool, it might just be bad luck, but a a bunch of bad sections in a premium brand probably means a counterfeit.  Cheap line -well, you get what you pay for.  It would be interesting to check the breaking strength on a loose section.  The next time that I get one, I think I will try it. Not sure that a section of loose weave is that bad, compared to a lump or splice, which I have read about but haven't seen myself.

Spectra/Dyneema (trade names for the same fiber) are  made from UHMWPE, a type of polyethylene that is extremely resistant to all kinds of acids and solvents, so nothing sticks to it.  that is why dyes do not hold, and the magic coatings rapidly disappear with use.  Nothing wants sticks to the stuff.  UHMWPE is also very slick,  so the coatings are not providing any meaningful friction reduction, and usually are making friction a bit worse, maybe a lot worse if the coating is soft enough to pick up silt and fine sand.   What the coatings will do (as long as they hang around) will be to make the braid stiffer, rounder, and less prone to tangle. 

There are some lines with coatings that are claimed to "fuse" the braid.  Haven't played with any myself, but most likely the coating sticks to itself during during curing, and is sort of held in place by virtue of being  interspersed with the braid.  The reviews on this stuff appear to be mixed.

Hope this helps,

-J

Jeri

Not that I think it is the case with the photo of the sample, I think that is just a bad batch or possibly a counterfeit. However, we have been doing a lot of experiments with hollow braids for our surf fishing, and specifically the join between the main line (braid) and the casting leader (braid). We have been stitching the two together like wind-on leaders, and now have a scheme where we effectively have no knot at all - which aids casting considerably. The braids we get are specifically from a weaver in South Africa, who has to deliberately set the machines to weave it hollow.

UKChris1

Interesting comment about lumps or splices in line. Over the years I've encountered quite a few, ranging from a nuisance to perfectly unacceptable.

They vary - for example:

One was a simple knot in one strand (carrier) which meant a weakness, but it was close to where I was going to cut anyway so not a big issue. Another was a series of fluffy lumps at various intervals throughout the whole length, so it was returned as unusable.

Another meant putting a couple of splices into half a mile of 130lb dacron to take out the terrible splice job done at the factory when something had gone wrong but the line was otherwise good (tested in a line testing strain gauge) so not worth returning.

It is why I load my lines by hand and check every inch as I go (with my spectacles on  ;) ). It is a pain when loading three 50W with 130lb GSP, and even worse loading a Penn 130 with dacron, but I know that my line is good.

Apart from looking for obvious knots or fluffy bits by eye, look for any discolouration or any variation in thickness (you can feel it through your fingers) and then check those lengths very carefully for weaknesses. Better to be safe that broken off!

nelz

Oh, sorry misread this, thought it said "loose women". :-[

philaroman

OK!   ::)   that's TWO, now, that associate cordage & knot issues w/ women getting loose  :o :o :o
...and their neighbors said that they were polite, quiet & kept to themselves  >:D >:D >:D