My modified Tony Pena!

Started by alantani, January 22, 2022, 04:25:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

I've been using this knot for the last 10 years. I made this video but just now realized that I never posted it here.  Hope you all like it!!!

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

thorhammer

perfect timing boss man. I'm putting mono topshots on at this moment. What's the heaviest mono you feel good abou this knot on?

alantani

i commonly do 130 braid to 130 mono or fluoro.  my buddy hooked up on a shark and the 130 to 130 knot held up under 65 pounds of drag.  i really like this knot. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

thorhammer

Perfect. I just tied Biminis on my GBFT reels and this knot worked nicely going from doubled braid to 130 Suffix. May whip floss over the mono to smooth it down a bit; I went five turns on uni.

MarkT

That's what they call a Bob Sands knot... a Tony Peña with a uni rather than an overhand in the mono.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

conchydong

Thanks Alan. A lot easier than a FG and strong enough for my purposes.

Gfish

Yup. Thorhammer's floss whip over the mono is a great idea for an even smoother "bump" on the line goin through the guides. Kinda time consuming though.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

thorhammer

It's 15 Degrees. I'm in the shop with nuttin but time, lol. I did get Bimini down to under a minute tho. That was time well spent.

Note, these aren't knots I'll really be retying on the boat. Basically if you're lucky enogh to hook let alone catch a BFT here, you're done for the day, and we only troll two lines- mainly because of the boat density also trolling two lines around the bait schools, so we carry one spare rod JIC. In the event we actually dock one I'd re-ty everything back in the shop with new topshot anyway.